Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Front loaders - can you leave the door open only a crack?

We were looking at new washers today, because my old machine is on it's last leg.

We're considering both top loader and front loaders. I don't have a problem leaving a front loader door cracked open to make sure it doesn't get mildew or whatever, but I noticed that all the doors automatically swung open completely. For those that only leave them cracked open, how do you do it? (Or is it even possible?)

The door on our laundry room swings inward, so if the washer door opened all the way the doors would collide. (I know a couple of brands offer switchable doors, but if we made the washer door open the other direction it'd make transferring the laundry to the dryer a PITB. And no, we can't switch the washer and dryer position due to the hookup locations.)

ETA secondary question in OP: Do any of you with LGs or Samsungs have them installed on the second floor or someplace with a non-concrete sub-floor (in other words, not a basement or garage)? Any issues with vibration/sound? Our laundry room is on the second floor.
    Last edited by s7714; 07-18-2011 at 12:47 AM.
    Jen

I have an old dress of DDs that has chocolate stains all over it. I use it to wipe the inside of the glass door and the crevis/ring where water collects after each cycle. I then hang the dress over the door and shut it so that the door remains open an inch or so.

Its annoying, but livable. What can you do? its the nature of those machines.
    Mom to DD 7/06, DS1 8/08 & DS2 9/11!

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My front loader's door will stay open a crack if I leave it that way, I don't know why mine does or others don't, though. I know some people hang a towel over the door so it won't close completely.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

If we open the detergent tray on ours (which we're supposed to do anyway) before we open the door, it will keep the door from opening up all the way.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Mine (an LG) would open all the way if I didn't have an added child lock on it. I love the child lock since it helps keep my kids safe, but the added bonus is it allows me to keep the washer open about an inch or two. I have the lock from one step ahead and it costs about $16 (bought it from amazon), love it.

Ours will stay open a crack, but I think it's that the screws are really tight so the door stays pretty much wherever we put it. It's a Samsung (but, the door opening is not reversible on the washer, only the dryer)

There are foam things you can slip over doors to keep them fro slamming - I think they are a baby proofing item - you could use those. But It might actually be possible to switch the machines... we had to switch ours from how they are "supposed" to be because of the door issue. (transferring laundry was a pain in the butt, we had a plumber over for some other work and I mentioned this just in passing because he said they looked like nice machines or something and he was like oh i can move them! works for me)

Our washer will stay open when I hang a towel (that I use to wipe off the door and clean the washer) so I just hang that over the door afterwards and it keeps it open just a smidgen! I have an LG!
    DD#1 11/23/05
    DD#2 12/9/10
    DD#3 9/4/13

I have a Kenmore elite front loader and I always leave the door open a crack, it doesn't swing all the open.

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have to say this is one of the big reasons I went with a top loader..........that and I'm always throwing in laundry after the cycle has started, which I don't think you can do with a front loader......
    Our laundry room is pretty small and there is no way I could leave a front loader door open without someone walking into the door and banging a knee.....
    My top loader is a Maytag Bravos (I think?)

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast