Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We did it and regretted it. I ceased paying for storage after the 2nd year. I hope they donated it, but I doubt it.

We made the decision to do it after a close friend died of a rare type of acute myeloid leukemia. So we were sort of in a cover-your-bases mode. We knew it wouldn't be useful for some diseases. What we didn't know was that sometimes you can't use your own cord blood cells anyway and what we should have realized, after watching our friend strike out in finding familial matches, was that S & L wouldn't necessarily be a match for each other, should one have a disease and the other not.

Then, about 4 or 5 months after they were born, all these reports came out about the cord blood banks making excessive claims, and not really being clear on the limited use of banking your child's cord blood. There were also very persuasive arguments about the value of donating your child's cord blood to public banks. That is now what I wish we had done. I guess I'm $5000 wiser.
    -Kate

Mom to Sally & Leo - 2/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine873 View Post
    Ask your Dr if they will collect the cord blood. Then, I would strongly recommend that you consider donating the cord blood to a public blood bank. Private banks are VERY expensive and on the very off chance that your DC would need a transplant, the chances are good that a public bank would have a suitable match. When I asked about it I was told that there are some diseases where a child can't use their own blood, so in that case it wouldn't even help to have saved it for yourself.

http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Donate_Co...ife/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigglet View Post

I think there are such a tiny number of cases in which it might be lifesaving, and the risks associated with giving an unregulated profit-making company the job of looking after the cord blood, that in my opinion it's not worth the huge financial (and emotional) investment.

Just my 2c.
    (Bolding is mine). These companies are here to make money by preying on fear. I would strongly consider donating to a public bank.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    My medical insurance seems to regulate c-sections rather stiffly and I'm wondering what options are available so I can ask my OB at my next appointment what is available to *me*.
    i don't know of any insurance that would pay for cord blood collection, so that's a non-issue. private cord blood collection is all out-of-pocket. the ob would most likely hand your placenta off to a nurse to do the actual collection because sewing you up is the more important task.

the actual collection process isn't hard, but i agree that it's less than worth the cost. public, yes, but private - i just don't see the benefit being worth the cost.

though, obviously, if your baby was the one who defied the odds because you saved the blood, it would be worth it. i just don't think that the chances of that happening raise cord blood storage to the importance and risk reduction of, say, carseats - no matter what the companies want you to think.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

We did it for #2 and will do it again for #3. I have a family member who is paying for it since they are the ones who will likely use it (due to a degenerative disease). Had it not been for that specific reason, we would not have done it otherwise. I think it just depends on people's circumstances. We also paid for the full 18 years up front, which helps lower the costs.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We never banked. If we had a family history of certain illnesses, I would have considered it, but we did not, so we did not bank.

We waited until the cord stopped pulsing...delayed clamping and cutting.

My first son was *almost* anemic when tested right around 12 months. He was just above the threshold. He was eating very little in terms of solids when testing. That little bit of extra iron reserves IMO may have kept him out of anemia territory. There is some data that it can be helpful in preventing anemia by providing extra iron stores.

The other option I would have considered was donating to a public bank, but it didn't fit our circumstances at the time.

eta: read up on the track record of how "usable" those cells really are for people at this point in time. IMO, not nearly as impressive as the private companies would like people to believe.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

We donated to a public bank for the last 2 kids. I am fuzzy on the details right now, but the donation was affiliated with a research study and I was fine with that. DH would not have banked privately for the reasons already given by previous posts but collection for the public bank was offered at the hospital where I delivered so we went that route.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Trigglet View Post
    I asked my OB about this when I was pregnant with DS, because I was being bombarded with marketing materials from cord blood banking companies. She recommended not to go ahead (or if we did want to collect it, to donate it to a public bank as PP said) because it's an entirely new and unregulated industry, so people are just making lots of money without any oversight. My OB suggested we ask ourselves whether we could be confident that he bank was looking after the blood in exactly the right way (at right temps, in a sterile environment, not getting it mixed up with someone else's cord blood etc etc) I couldn't square myself to getting involved in something like that. We don't know anyone else who has done it either.

I think there are such a tiny number of cases in which it might be lifesaving, and the risks associated with giving an unregulated profit-making company the job of looking after the cord blood, that in my opinion it's not worth the huge financial (and emotional) investment.

Just my 2c.

My OB said the same thing.

With HopMoo our hospital was part of a cord blood bank research program. We really wanted to donate, but when the time came to collect the cord blood they weren't able to get a big enough sample.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

BTW there are now more sources for stem cells, such as teeth, this is an example http://us.bioeden.com/ I have not researched it, I just saw it at my dentist's office today. So cord blood banking may no tbe your last chance to bank stem cells.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

I had a question about delaying cord clamping and donating to the public bank and this is what the nurse at the public bank cord program told me:

"There are no clear data on this question to my knowledge, but it is
    reasonable to assume that it probably does affect the volume of blood
    left in the placenta and cord. We don't know how much, however, and the
    amount left varies considerably regardless. Our advice is to follow your
    birth plan and still have whatever is left collected - we wouldn't want
    to miss out on a potentially useful unit if it does meet the volume
    criteria."

turned out DS had the cord wrapped around his neck 3 times so they had to pretty much cut it right away to release him and was able to collect enough to donate. Totally agree with all the ladies that the chance of using it again is pretty low. Good luck with your decision!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2