Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Failed GCT Argh! Darn you 3 hr GTT!

I failed my 1 hour glucose test. I failed it last pregnancy as well. I passed my 3 hour last pregnancy so I'm hoping I'll pass it again this time but I was so hoping I wouldn't have to go through this again. I think this test is the worst. The drink is disgusting. I get all jittery. I'm hungry from fasting (as per doctor). And then I get all tired in the afternoon because my body has been processing all this sugar.

All my urine dipsticks so far have been coming up negative for glucose and protein.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is common, failing the 1 hour but passing the 3 hour. Did you have a similiar experience?

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I also have a usually sort of low blood pressure. My normal BP is 100/60. The doctors don't seem alarmed by this and said that's what's always been so they aren't too concerned about the BP.
    I'm not sure but could this be a just my body takes a little longer to process the blood sugar because of this or does this have nothing to do with each other?

Send good vibes for a passing 3 hour tomorrow for me please.

Thanks.
    Last edited by pantrygirl; 07-18-2011 at 01:13 PM.
    Mom, Wife and Finder of lost items
    AP-er, Breastfeeder, Babywearing, No Circ Mama

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I passed both times and have very low blood pressure, 120 for me is high. I never had a 1 hour test with both pregnancies, just the 3 hr. one. I would just fast tonight, and tomorrow morning before your test. When I had the 3 hr. test with DD2 I could drink water after the first hour.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Ugh I fell your pain. I failed the 1 hr but passed the 3 hr no problem when pg with DD 2 years ago. I'm dreading it this time since I suspect the same thing will happen. My BP has always been pretty normal, definitely not low. Good luck to you, hope you pass the 3 hr.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

pantrygirl, another one here in your same boat. Failed the 1 hr and passed the 3 hr last time as well as this time. Oh, I hoped and prayed I pass the 1 hr this time but no such luck. BTW, my BP is always on the lower side too, I do not know if there is any co-relation there.

Survived the 3 hr though was nauseous and ready to pass out at the end of it. Good luck with yours! I too wonder why my body cannot metabolize the sugar in 1 hr.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

soon2b4 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I find it interesting that my doctor did not ask me to fast. Their information to me said to avoid certain foods, but to eat something for breakfast before I came in. My bp is just like yours - 100/60 is the usual. I have only had to take the 1 hour for both of my pregnancies.
    Happily married to DH 01/96
    Mom to:
    DD1 01/04
    DD2 09/11

I know lots of people who fail the one hour but pass the three hour. What REALLY sucks is when you are there for the three hour, and you are ready at the three hour mark and the lab techs start mucking around and goofing off and don't call you back right away and all you can think of is "Hey Jackass! I am WAITING!"
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just failed the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour fine. I ate up until midnight the night before the 1 hour, and had a huge plate of pasta. My OB seemed to think that had something to do w/ the barely fail 1 hour.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

I'm back from the 3 hr. Thanks for the well wishes and shared stories. It helped me calm down.

I asked my doc about my BP and he said that for the 1 hr, my BP was 116/80 which although not high was a tad high for me. He said it shouldn't have any correlation though to my metabolism.

Today my BP was 96/60.

He said it's a metabolism thing so we'll see what the results are soon.

That stuff is truly retched though. The 1 hr stuff was not as gaggy as the 3 hr. I forgot how absolutely icky I felt after the drink.

Even in the heatwave, I had to take a walk around the block while waiting. I couldn't just sit. I probably would have passed out if I just sat.

The staff said as long as I came back every hour on the mark, I was free to come and go.

I hope I pass.

Thanks again for the well wishes and good vibes.
    Mom, Wife and Finder of lost items
    AP-er, Breastfeeder, Babywearing, No Circ Mama

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Fingers crossed on passing!!

I took the 3 hour GTT when I wasn't pg to check on things per my PCOS. I wasn't allowed to walk around at all! I joked about going out to plug my meter before the test started and they said I wouldn't be allowed to do that. They didn't want my body to have a chance to do anything like burn it off. It wound up being fine but I was so glad I wasn't pg for it!

Beth

nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Lots of people fail the 1-hr and pass the 3-hr. It's actually designed that way - the 1-hr is a screening test to catch all of those who might possibly have GD, and then the 3-hr is the real diagnostic test. So fingers crossed for you that you passed! For me, I just barely passed the 1-hr with my first pregnancy, failed both and had GD with my second, and then for this one just opted to skip the 1-hr, go straight for the 3-hr and just found out I passed this time. Such a relief!
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast