Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default 19 minutes later

After being induced with DS1, I really want to experience going into labor naturally with DS2. I planned on an epidural, but I wanted to avoid pitocin at all costs. One thing I read here and other places over and over that not going to the hospital too early will help avoid intervention. For ten days before my due date I had false labor contractions once or twice a day. I would dutifully time them, and just when it would appear that a pattern was emerging or they were coming closer, they would stop.

So by the time the afternoon of my due date rolled around I had learned to tune out the achey cramps I was having. I was tired of false alarms. That night I went to bed about midnight, and then woke up at 1:30 a.m. with what felt like a strong gas pain in my lower abdomen. Since the pain wasn't radiating from the back like I assumed labor pains should I got up, drank a glass of water, then went back to sleep. I woke up ten minutes later with more pain. So I started walking around the house and timing. By 2 a.m. I had had 4 more pains, each 5 minutes apart, so I woke up DH. Because the pains were coming so fast I still wasn't convinced they weren't contractions. I texted my doctor who said to time for another hour than head to the hospital. But just then the pains started coming back-to-back. I texted him again and he said just to head to hospital whenever. So we called DH's parents to come over to watch DS1 and packed up the car. We arrived at L/D at 2:45. While we were registering out by the nurses station I started to vomit. After that they had me change and tried to get me into bed to start a fetal monitor and to check me. I literally could not lie down. They spent the next few minutes chasing me all over the hospital bed, trying to get me to stay on my back so they could monitor me.

They checked me and told me I was 8 cm. That was a lie. They told me later I was really 10 cm and that they didn't want to "panic" me. I think telling me I was 8 cm was worse though. B/C I thought I was going to endure that pain for another 2 cm change with no chance of epidural. DH asked if I was going to get one, and they go "oh an IV is on it's way." I knew there was no chance though. All this time I had an urge to push, but they kept telling me it wasn't time yet and to blow. Then at 3 a.m. my water breaks. I gave in to the urge to push and just did a tiny little push. The head started to come out and the nurses changed their tune and started yelling at me to push. And DS2 was born at 3:04 a.m. on his due date, 19 minutes after we arrived at the hospital. The doctor was still down the street.

DH and I were in shock for two days straight. We did not ever dream DS2's birth would happen like that. So quickly, with no epidural, with no doctor, and such chaos. So moral of the story, don't be afraid of going in to L/D too early. We were so freaked out afterward at how close DS2 was to being born in the car or somewhere else. I was in pain, but we had no idea things would progress that fast.

Little guys was 6 pounds 1 oz and perfectly healthy!
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Awesome! Congratulations on the baby!
    Kris

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow! Congratulations on your baby! I'm sorry that you didn't get the epidural and glad that you didn't have baby in the car. Hugs and hope you are recovering nicely!
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

Congratulations!

SkyrMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Oh my goodness!! So glad you and baby are fine! Welcome to the world little one.
    DD 4/09 DS 8/12

Congratulations!
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

blue is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Congrats momma! and welcome little guy
    DS1
    DS2
    DD1

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Congrats!., I got to the hospital at 8cm with DS and and the nurses were panicked. I can only imagine what they were when you came in!

maiaann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Congrats! What a great birth story!
    DD1 10/01
    DD2 02/07
    DD3 07/09

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Congrats!! Quick and easy births are the best way to go! DS was born 40 minutes after I arrived at the hospital and we were shocked with that, but you got an even better deal!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast