Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default To Fast or Not To Fast: Mixed instructions before glucose test?

So, they put me in for an early one hour test, but the nurse told me to eat breakfast and then take the test a few hours later. The doctor did not order the test, a nurse did. But everything I read says that I am to fast 8-12 hours before the test.

What did you do?
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    So, they put me in for an early one hour test, but the nurse told me to eat breakfast and then take the test a few hours later. The doctor did not order the test, a nurse did. But everything I read says that I am to fast 8-12 hours before the test.

What did you do?

Fast. Definitely fast. If you must eat, eat only protein, something like a hard boiled egg. Otherwise, you're being tested not just on the load of sugar they give you in the glucola, but also whatever carbs you had in your breakfast.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Quote Originally Posted by rprav8r View Post
    Fast. Definitely fast. If you must eat, eat only protein, something like a hard boiled egg. Otherwise, you're being tested not just on the load of sugar they give you in the glucola, but also whatever carbs you had in your breakfast.
    Thanks! That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. I also read that I should not have been restricting my carbs today, the day before the test...which I HAD been. So now I am having celery with peanut butter before bed.....
    ---------
    A-M

---------

Quote Originally Posted by rprav8r View Post
    I think I once read that having a bit of protein in your belly will actually slow down the digestion of the sugar and keep it reaching your bloodstream as quickly, so I agree that a little protein is a good thing. Your confusion about the test is one of the reasons I hate it - it seems like lots of people get different instructions about how to take it, and it has a seriously high false positive rate. Plus, lots of OBs use different values to determine if a person has actually flunked it - what one OB thinks is the threshold for the 3 hour test might not even raise an eyebrow on another OB. Add to that that I've witnessed at least 6 pregnant women toss their cookies in the lab waiting room after drinking glucola, and I give the entire process a big .
    Green Tea, mom to three

I'm convinced that I failed my 1 hour test b/c I ate beforehand (was not given instructions to fast). Passed my 3 hour test and fasted before, but definitely would have preferred not to have to go through that ridiculousness if I didn't have to.

soon2b4 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I wish I could remember whether I was told to fast the first time around. This time, I was told not to - I ate nutri grain waffles with peanut butter for breakfast - was all I wanted for breakfast for weeks. I actually told the doctor that that was what I had been eating everyday and she told me that it would be a good choice for the day of.
    The drink still gave me a heat rush and made me feel whirly for a while, anyway.
    So, I wish I knew what to tell you - because I really think I had to fast with DD1.
    Happily married to DH 01/96
    Mom to:
    DD1 01/04
    DD2 09/11

I was told to eat but only a protein breakfast.

bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was told no fasting us necessary--which I was really happy about. I'll definetely be eating some protein meal before going in. I'd get really sick if I didn't have anything in me. I can't stand any sugary drinks.

Given that I requested this test myself, I am going to fast. If this were routine, I would be less worried about it. I can not afford false results right now b/c unlike so many others that just see this test as a nuisance, I am taking it b/c I am actually worried about my health and babies health.

If I were to eat an egg right now without toast, it would come right back up. Even the idea of eating an egg makes me want to wretch, so I'll stop talking about it!

My friend who used to be an OB nurse at the same hospital I am taking the test at finally wrote me back last night and not only encouraged me to take the test right away but to fast for 8-12 hours before. It will be closer to the 12 hour as I have already been fasting for 8 at this point.

Thanks again!
    ---------
    A-M

---------

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    Given that I requested this test myself, I am going to fast. If this were routine, I would be less worried about it. I can not afford false results right now b/c unlike so many others that just see this test as a nuisance, I am taking it b/c I am actually worried about my health and babies health.
    Oh, amldaley, I hope I didn't make it sound like I was blowing it off! Not at all. I just think the test is seriously flawed. That said, for a patient or doctor that's concerned, it can yield VERY valuable results. I hope you get the answers you need and it puts your mind at ease!
    Green Tea, mom to three

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast