Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Help...I'm five stops back on the fashion train

Is there any hope for me? I have totally stopped taking care of what I look like. Not in a scary way, just in the "I'm a mom and I don't have time or money way." I do work FT and have some work clothes, but they're very standard outfits--like khaki pants and a plain shirt.

I need some pizazz but I don't even know how to start! I have a figure 8 body shape, am 5'1'' and about 140 lbs.

I'm going out to look for new boots today (inspired by the posts here).

Suggestions? I like the insideoutstyleblog.com, but it's in Australia and doesn't link to specific clothes.

In addition, being short has NOT helped my shopping!
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

I am similar in size to you, and if you have athletic legs at all, you may have problems with tall boots. This is NOT because you have thick calves, really, its just that being so short, the boots come up higher on our legs than other peoples'. If everyone had to wear their boots over the widest part of the calf, they'd have the same problem. It was the bane of my existence, finding boots that work. I figured out that mid calf styles fit me better, and that Frye was typically a safe (albeit expensive) bet.

Just try on a zillion pair. If you have thin legs, ignore this.

Sal, a fashion blogger at www.alreadypretty.com has great advice on do it yourself style makeovers, even if you're not a fan of her personal style.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Check out the You Look Fab blog and forum: http://youlookfab.com/

The stylist who runs it, Angie, is wonderful. She has a bunch of posts on style tips for the "mom on the go" as she calls it (or MOTG). Her advice is down to earth and as user-friendly as it gets. Here's one of her MOTG posts:

http://youlookfab.com/2009/10/07/10-...mom-on-the-go/

Fabulous! That's just the help I need!

I did go to DSW and buy 5 pairs of new shoes today. All casual, but definitely more fun! I'm trying!
    Jen

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I love getting ideas from fashion mags. Two more down to earth ones are in style and people style. Check out their websites too.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love In Style magazine. Two books I find incredibly useful are "How not to look old" and "The pocket stylist". They aren't about fashion but more about developing a personal style that is right for your body.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ot+to+look+old

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Stylist...3842038&sr=1-1
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

One way to get started is to join Pinterest and just start re-pinning the outfits you come across that you like. After a bit you will start noticing trends in what you are pinning and it will give you a place to start.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

That's a good idea. I don't really know what my fashion taste is at this point. Part of the reason is that I keep going back to the way my mom always advised dressing--very classic and not trendy AT ALL (think double breasted navy sport coat with khaki pants or generally conservative looks). I just want to be more modern and less boring. Not really "out there," but a little more hip. Less tee shirt and jeans.

I think I'll have to give Pinterest a try.
    Jen

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jse107 View Post
    That's a good idea. I don't really know what my fashion taste is at this point. Part of the reason is that I keep going back to the way my mom always advised dressing--very classic and not trendy AT ALL (think double breasted navy sport coat with khaki pants or generally conservative looks). I just want to be more modern and less boring. Not really "out there," but a little more hip. Less tee shirt and jeans.

I think I'll have to give Pinterest a try.
    I really have to work at stepping out of my comfort zone. I have to remind myself that my comfort zone is what got me into this rut so the only way to break out of it is to try something different. I started by buying a green scarf and green purse at Target and just adding them to a grey t-shirt and black skirt. A baby step but a step in the right direction nonetheless.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Skirts! Skirts! I avoided them for so long, but they're so much easier to fit than pants. A-lines, stretchy pencils if you can find a good black, gray or denim one. Skirts.

Wear with...I know...heels.
    My baby boy is 3!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast