Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 6 month old still too small for ergo?

My 6 month old never liked the ergo with the infant insert. I keep trying to put him in it without the insert, but it seems that he still cannot spread his legs wide enough. He is on the average-small side I would say, but pretty tall. He probably weighs 16 or 16 1/2 pounds.
    I think he is not the most flexible of babies. I'm getting nervous that he won't ever be comfortable in the ergo. What age/weight was your baby comfy in the ergo? Any suggestions? TIA

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD2 was comfortable at that age but she is in the 98% for height and weight. I think it just depends on the baby.
    Does he complain or do you just think he doesn't look comfortable?

He screams and seems really relieved when i take him out.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

IMO, the Ergo is best for babies 6 months and older. DS2 hated the insert too, we started using the Ergo more after 6 months. He much preferred our Baby Bjorn before that age - even though it is not as nice a carrier.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Have you tried adjusting him once he's in the carrier? Like, move his butt and legs around to make him comfortable. I used mine around 4 months but my DD was always tall..

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

DD was 90th percentile in height and I didn't feel like the ergo worked until at least six months with her. I had much better luck with my pikkolo and with a freehand mei tai with a thin scarf cinching the body down so she could get her legs out.

Catherine

We used the Ergo with the infant insert until about 4months, and then DD went without from then on. But DD is on the larger side (80th percentile for weight and 99th percentile for height) and has always had incredible muscle control. Some babies just don't like carriers though.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How do you carry your baby in your arms? I would suggest a woven wrap, so that you can best mimic that in arms feeling.

He generally likes to be carried on my hip. He seems a little happier in the hip carry, but it seems like his thighs are pushing into the material both in front carry and on the side, and maybe that is whats uncomfortable. I just tried it again, and he seemed to tolerate his legs being spread, but still was not very happy.

DD hated the newborn insert, as was too small/uncomfortable in the Ergo without it, until I took out the little trapezoid shaped bum insert from the newborn insert and used it as a seat for her at 4 months. The first time we tried it she was a happy camper, and is worn all the time now. I just recently stopped using the seat cushion, and she finally seems ok in the carrier without it. I would wedge the thinner part of the insert under the hip strap, prop her on the top wider part and strap the Ergo. It elevated her enough so that her legs could just dangle, without being cut by the fabric, which did happen when she sat too low in the seat without it and this way her legs were also at the narrowest point of my waist so it was much easier to straddle.
    ~ N

DD 12/10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast