Thread: Back Pain

Default Back Pain

I know I have a really high pain tolerance but this sciatica nerve/lower back pain is killer. I literally can't walk or even pick up my toddler. I have tried hot pads, hot water bottle, prenatal massage, ice pack, bath, muscle rub, laying on my side, walking and even tylenol and NOTHING helps. I am in such agony I just cried today and I'm not a crier. Almost 40 wks and have been told nothing will make it better until #2 is born. I can barely function...

soon2b4 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Oh, honey! Sooo sorry! Hopefully your new DC will decide to come out to see you soon! P & PT for you!
    Happily married to DH 01/96
    Mom to:
    DD1 01/04
    DD2 09/11

I am so sorry you are feeling so miserable. The end of pregnancy just sucks, especially when you have something like that going on. I'll be sending labor vibes your way so you can hopefully deliver and feel better sooner rather than later.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Do you have a pool near you? Being in the pool was one of the most wonderful things at the end of pregnancy. I even spent the 1st hour or so of labor with ds2 in there (labor started when I was in the pool).
    Beth

Yes I need to go try the pool again. I have been taking 2 baths a day which temporarily helps. My parents have been awesome the last few days because DH is trying to wrap up loose ends at work. I have done nothing but lay on my side and alternate ice packs and hot pads. Between false labor that leaves me totally drained and this pain I am not sure how I will make it another 2 wks if this baby is late.

Oh, that is so miserable! I do hope it goes away for you as soon as baby#2 arrives. I had pretty bad lower back pain with DS, both during the last several months of pregnancy and then also during labor. Turns out he was posterior; go figure.

So glad you have family there who can help take care of your toddler so you can take care of yourself as much as possible. It will be over soon!
    Cheri

Mommy to...
    DD1 6/2/04
    DS 3/9/07
    and finally welcomed DD2 on 8/25/2011!

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sooooo feel your pain! My lower back was KILLER with #2. Not much helped.

Have you tried getting on your hands and knees and arching your back (as much as possible with an enormous belly) and then relaxing it? I STILL have bad lower back pain, and this is about the only thing that helps relieve it. And some severely painful massaging.

Quote Originally Posted by ashleybama24 View Post
    Yes I need to go try the pool again. I have been taking 2 baths a day which temporarily helps. My parents have been awesome the last few days because DH is trying to wrap up loose ends at work. I have done nothing but lay on my side and alternate ice packs and hot pads. Between false labor that leaves me totally drained and this pain I am not sure how I will make it another 2 wks if this baby is late.
    Oh, try the pool. It was the only place I could get any relief. I would go with DH and the boys and tell them to pretend that I wasn't there. I would take a pool noodle and just kinda hang my body off of it in the water. I could almost feel my back and pelvis decompressing and getting back into alignment as crazy as that sounds.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    Sooooo feel your pain! My lower back was KILLER with #2. Not much helped.

Have you tried getting on your hands and knees and arching your back (as much as possible with an enormous belly) and then relaxing it? I STILL have bad lower back pain, and this is about the only thing that helps relieve it. And some severely painful massaging.
    Yes...it's only on my left side right above my hip which is really hard to stretch! I can't tell if it's sciatica nerve pain or just back pain.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I had sacroiliac joint pain to a horrible degree in parts of my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies. I know you are at the end but if you get desperate, you could look for a physical therapist w/ experience treating pregnant women.

what you are describing could most definitely be consistent with SI joint pain (obviously the only way to know for sure would be to get an eval). The ligaments there get stretchy from the relaxin in your system.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010