Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Do you own an otoscope?

Do you have an otoscope for home use? Just wondering how practical these are and if they can be properly used to prevent unneeded trips to the doctor for suspected ear infections. Not sure if it's advisable to use these at home or not, I'm thinking our pediatrician would advise against them but I think I'll ask next time just to see what she thinks.
    DD Spring 2010

Yes, and there are really good ones out there (in Walmart of all place, I think) for home-use. Dx'ing ear infections is an art, but this plus some experience will help you.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, that Dr. Mom one from Walmart is great. I'm an audiologist and had a professional travel one and I can see better with the Dr. Mom than it. I use it a ton for my older two. Using it on the baby is nearly impossible though.

I do and it's saved me a ton of trips plus convinced me to take the kids when I'd otherwise wait it out. I take it on vacation too- the last place I want to be unecessairly on vacation is urgent care! I do not prescribe for my own kids. I also do not do peds or even internal med so never use an otoscope in my daily practice so I dint really have much professional practice with ears. My older daughter was tough but my younger one loves having me check her ears. My husband actually did a better job with ears than me and I'd hold our older DDs head while he looked. We have had a plastic kind designed for families and a professional pocket scope and they both were fine.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't have one that I own, however, I have access to one whenever I need it, from work, that I can bring home. Usually I just drag DD into my office, and when a prescriber sees her there, they offer up a script if we need one.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mnosky1 View Post
    I do and it's saved me a ton of trips plus convinced me to take the kids when I'd otherwise wait it out. I take it on vacation too- the last place I want to be unecessairly on vacation is urgent care!.

I have one that I use all the time. I got it at a medical supplies store online. It was very affordable and has saved me lots of trips to urgent care with the kids!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We do but we don't use it often. Thankfully DD1 doesn't get EIs very often and DD2 won't sit still long enough for us to use it on her. She's great for the ped but not for us.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't, but my father owns one (and my parents live around the corner).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast