Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Suggestions of on the go foods for a picky eater?

Starting in September DS will have to be at the bus for school at 7:40 am. I have to drive him to the bus stop as it's 4 miles from our house. So, that means we have to leave by 7:15 am (in the am rush traffic it will take us a good 20 minutes to go 4 miles). DS cannot handle getting up before 6:30 am. My goal is to have him up and dressed by 7 am, get in the car by 7:10 and pull out of the driveway by 7:15. Instead of eating breakfast at home, he will now be doing so in the car. Any suggestions for healthy breakfasts? Right now DS drinks a super smoothie and eats a pbj for breakfast on the way to camp. I hate to feed him in the car, but b/c we have to catch the bus so early, I feel it's the best alternative (rather than waking him up at 6 am daily since he is just 6). Normally DS sleeps from 9 pm to 7 am (if I push him to 8 pm he wakes up between 4 and 5 am).
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

any chance of a sausage and egg wrap or egg only wrap with a tortilla?
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What you are giving him right now sounds good.
    Dry cereal and a safe container to drink milk
    waffles

I'd say anything you might usually give for breakfast can be put in a container and eaten in the car. It's no fun getting them out so early is it. DD is getting up at 8am right now but has to be on the bus at 7.10, so has to get up at 6.15 to get breakfast, dressed, teeth, hair. UGh I'm dreading the end of summer hols!

I offer that (as a whole or parts of it) periodically. So far DS won't eat it.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

My one saving grace in the morning is that DS has to wear a uniform. Hopefully that cuts down on the dressing time (no reason to change his mind about what he picked out the night before). Plus, I'm up at 5 and working out from 5:15-5:45. Then I shower, get the kids ready, make lunches (the hot portions) and literally throw us all in the car.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Cheese toast? Or just a string cheese and a piece of fruit with some milk?

Peanut butter on waffles would be a bit of a change - but it sounds like he won't eat waffles?

Not sure what a super smoothie is, but you could get those drinkable yogurts (the kind with the foil top that you could pop a straw in), along with some dry cereal or maybe a z-bar?
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

The super smoothie is the organic drinkable yogurt. DS loves those.

He won't eat cheese unless it's in a quesadilla or on pizza and hot (have to see how to take that in the car--the quesadilla).

good suggestions.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

toby is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Couldn't you just continue with the pb&j and super smoothie...and eat them in the car? I would be thrilled if my picky DS would have that for breakfast.

He won't eat cheese unless it's in a quesadilla or on pizza and hot (have to see how to take that in the car--the quesadilla).

good suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Why not make the quesadilla in the microwave and cut it up into 4 or 8 pieces and put them into a ziplock bag, that way he doesn't have to worry about spilling an open container.

HTH
    Leslie

Mommy to
    B 1/2004
    T 8/2008

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

ON-the-go, my picky almost 8YO DD likes baked oatmeal with mini chocolate chips (of course not dried fruit), or chocolate pancakes room temp (she eats them like a cookie). the chocolate pancakes are a bit of a PITA because they are one of those Sneaky Chef recipes with a puree of spinach and blueberries in it. once you get that made, though, they are easy peasy and then you have a few batches of the puree in the freezer for the next times you make them. DD lives on these pancakes! eating them at home, she dips them in maple syrup, but i often pack them in her lunch if she didn't eat them for breakfast, and she eats them without syrup.

Just lately DD will eat a couple breakfast sausage patties sliced in half, which i don't love but i think it's better than just loading up on carb-y cereal.
    Baked Oatmeal

3 cups rolled oats
    ½ cup brown sugar
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup melted butter (or ½ c. nonsweetened applesauce)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 cup dried berries (or ½c. mini chocolate chips)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F .
    2. In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients: oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
    3. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients: milk, eggs, melted butter or applesauce, and vanilla extract.

4. Fold wet into dry ingredients. Stir in dried berries or chocolate chips. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish.

5. Bake in preheated oven, 350F for about 20-25 minutes.

I adapted this recipe (it comes out as bars, not mushy like the photo):
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-o...ii/detail.aspx
    Here is the Chocolate Pancake recpie. when i make them, i do 1/2 cup flour mix and 1/4 cup flax meal. and i also use 1/3 cup of the puree instead of 1/4.
    http://www.babycenter.com/209_-sneak..._75390080_1.bc

HTH!
    anne + DD 10-03

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast