Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Trying not to freak out

I know stressing won't help...my hair is falling out like crazy- again!

It's not quite as bad as the horrible pp shed I had aftet C, but almost. I have a lot of hair, and I've always been a shedder, but this seems excessive. It's the first time I've been worried.

DV bother me, but I started taking a couple of the kids' daily chewy ones to get some extra vitamins, hoping they are gentler on my body. I don't know if it's more my diet or something else. I don't eat eggs because of L's allergies, but I might need to find a way to add them back in. I don't eat much fish either. It seemed that all the foods listed as good for hair health are not big in my diet.

Could thyroid affect this? Should I see a doctor and get bloodwork done? I'm not losing handfuls of hair, but it's just strand after strand all.day.long. More when I shower and brush it.

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thyroid can definitely do this. If you are worried, it's worth getting checked out (you are the best judge of what is "normal" for you). Not sure how old you are, but your hair will thin more with age as well, and often at ages younger than people think. Usually it's a gradual process, but it still can be surprising when it happens. The other things that come to mind are changes in diet or weight, besides stress which you already mentioned.

this is me too - i thought it was the shedding cycle since giving birth but it seems to keep going on and on

still taking prenatals (with fish oil) and calcium supplement - no dietary restrictions for allergies so don't know why this is still happening

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by TxCat View Post
    Thyroid can definitely do this. If you are worried, it's worth getting checked out (you are the best judge of what is "normal" for you). Not sure how old you are, but your hair will thin more with age as well, and often at ages younger than people think. Usually it's a gradual process, but it still can be surprising when it happens. The other things that come to mind are changes in diet or weight, besides stress which you already mentioned.
    I just turned 34. I thought maybe age and possibly summer heat (do we shed like animals ). I guess it wouldn't hurt to get my blood checked anyway. I haven't had it done since I was pg with C.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had increased shedding when using Mirena and have read of women losing a lot of hair with Mirena. Don't know what, if any, BC you are using.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have this too, got my thyroid checked and nothing. I just seem to shed a lot since DD2. Annoying but it seems to be status quo for me.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

Have your thyroid function tested. Too low TSH = excessive shedding.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

have your ferritin levels checked (not just iron). your iron can be normal, but if ferritin is <50, your hair will fall out. iron supplements will dramatically improve it. It does take several months of supplementation. Low ferritin is more common than thryoid for hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by cckwmh View Post
    have your ferritin levels checked (not just iron). your iron can be normal, but if ferritin is <50, your hair will fall out. iron supplements will dramatically improve it. It does take several months of supplementation. Low ferritin is more common than thryoid for hair loss.
    Hmmm...I wouldn't be surprised if I have low iron, but I had to look up ferritin! I don't eat beef, and I don't eat a lot of fish. I get most of my iron through cereal/pasta/bread and veggies. I was anemic when I was younger. That might have something to do with it.

Definitely getting my blood checked now!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was just coming here to post something similar. Mine is shedding for post-partum reasons but it is getting ridiculous! I am going to be more diligent about supplements. Anyone remember how long is "normal" to lose hair following a birth? I'm tempted to cut it really short b/c it's driving me crazy.
    K

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast