Thread: which double?

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default which double?

ok so i'm thinking i need a "true" double (SBS) stroller. so far the Vista with the Rumbleseat and/or piggyback board is ok, but i'm starting to think i need something different. it is kind of hard to push/steer sometimes, and it is indeed heavy to get in and out of the van.

any suggestions? i don't use strollers often when i'm out by myself but i might in the future (i would love to get out more). for grocery shopping i usually wear DD and have DS in shopping cart..he is pretty happy with that.

originally i figured i'd get a BOB Revo Duallie for trips with both kids like the zoo or for walks outside, and eventually jogging for when DD was old enough. however not sure how car-friendly it is, and a bob seems like overkill for the mall or whatever. now i'm thinking of something lightweight bc the idea of being outside for any period of time right now gives me a headache (it it too hot for walks outside right now).

oh and if you can give tips on how to convince DH that I need yet another stroller, i'm all ears. I suggested getting a double stroller the other day and he was not happy. he thinks i should be able to use Vista for everything, considering how much $$ it was.

this is what i have: bjcm, mac volo, uppababy vista (all 2010) models.

i was going to sell the bjcm to fund a bjcmd, but DH does not want me to sell it (it is like pulling teeth to convince DH to let me sell something on CL). we have an plane trip coming up next month anyway and we are going to save it for that, since i think a double will be too cumbersome.

i was thinking of getting bjcmd, but it seems like all the deals on it are long gone. won't be able to convince DH unless i find one for super cheap. the other thing is, i do eventually want a BOB duallie. ideally, i'd get a BJCMD *and* a BOB Duallie but that seems out of the question, DH already thinks i'm nuts.

any advice??
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 07-29-2011 at 07:42 AM.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I find the inline doubles useful for shopping and errands. I really only use my true double outside. Maybe keep your Vista for errands (because I'm assuming you still want it as a single for your baby, correct me if I'm wrong) and get a BOB for walks. Tell your DH you want it, so you can really lose all of your baby weight (my apologies if you already have). I bet you can find a BOB on CL. Even my CL has BOBs.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have a BJCMD for the car and a BJCED for walks around the neighborhood and bigger trips (though there are definitely better choices than the BJCED, like the BOB, but couldn't beat the BJ price!)

I really love our BJCMD for the car. Really, really, really love it. So light and easy to get in and out of the car. It doesn't have air tires, but it steers well for a lightweight double and is easy to get through doors and aisles for a SBS. The basket underneath isn't great (though I think it was improved in newer models?) but the stroller isn't tippy so it'd be easy to hang stuff off the handlebar. I feel like the weight is a big deal because it helped me a lot in terms of mustering the activation energy to get out and about. The thought of wrestling with a heavier stroller on top of everything else you have to deal with when getting 2 kids ready for an outing would probably have killed some of my motivation to get out! And the girls LOVE this stroller. They ask to ride it all the time.

The drawback might be that it doesn't have as much headroom as our BJCED (so less room for growth) but I think you run into this with most of the other choices for umbrella doubles. The other drawback is that you'd be restricted to indoor outings, or outdoor on normal terrain (pavement, short grass, dirt - no big rocks or gravel).

My suggestion is to get a car double (I vote BJCMD!) and wait on an air tire double for now because what YOU need is something to help YOU when you are on your own with the kids. That's worth spending for another stroller, IMO!! But good luck convicing DH
    Last edited by twowhat?; 07-29-2011 at 10:09 AM.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If worse came to worse, I'd sell the Vista to fund the Bob Duallie or some other nice double. You will get a lot more use out of it than the Vista as your kids grow.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would start with getting a Bob Duallie now. Yes it's a beast, but you have a mini van, and it's just an all around great stroller. My 5 yr. old loves it. The push is amazing, and honestly I can't think of anything bad to say about the stroller. You might even be able to find a 2010 on Craigslist if you like that style more than the new one.

BJ strollers seem to go on sale around November through when the new models come out in early the next calendar year (Feb. to March) so if you are willing to wait for a deal then that's what I would do.

I would also think about selling your Volo because you already have a BJCM and I really think that those two strollers really do the same thing and if you really want to consolidate I think that a BJCM, and Maclaren are really pretty equal in the stroller world. In a few years when your DS is okay on a bike or walking a lot and you want a lighter single for DD then you can look at getting another Volo for your DD to use.

I might consider selling the Vista too if you think that you will be using it less once you have a true double.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)