View Poll Results: Do you dress (as in buy a wardrobe for) your DH or SO?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 27.12%
  • Sometimes

31 26.27%
  • Hell No

52 44.07%
  • Other

3 2.54%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

He hates shopping so I BUY his clothes, but heaven forbid I should ever give him any suggestions on what to wear on any given day.

Unfortunately, he also has a lot of free tshirts with company logos (mostly polo shirts) and he wears those all the time. Most of the time I don't care (only for portraits and special occasions, and then I just cross my fingers and hope he will dress appropriately ).
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

I buy for DH...when I see a great deal, or he (finally!) decides he needs something new. He likes LL Bean, so whenever they have a sale, I ask if there's anything he needs. (He may need other things, too, but I typically try to stick to the list . Most recently: "a couple of short-sleeve shirts - not blue, and a pair of jeans.")
    I buy his shoes (primarily New Balance), too - always on sale - then put them up in his closet for when he decides he needs a new pair.

We've been married for 12 years. Early on, DH (who hates shopping) said he would buy his own clothes. After a few years of wearing the same increasingly worn-out stuff, he started asking for help!
    Last edited by mommytoC; 07-31-2011 at 09:15 PM.
    A, mommytoC (DD#1, born 11/05)...and to K (DD#2, born 4/09)!

I'm the only "other" vote so far

I dressed XH. If I didn't, he would be in a Hooters shirt and cargo shorts every day. I remember at one point, we were going to go to a play. In the evening. In a place kids weren't allowed. Tickets were $96 each, and I was dressed like I was headed to a spendy evening. He argued up one side and down the other that jeans and a polo would be fine, since the polo didn't have a company logo on it. He called 2 hours before we were supposed to be there, sheepishly explaining that even his male coworkers agreed that he needed khakis and a button-up.

The recent X-SO, I didn't have to typically dress. Every once in a while, I would ask for him to please wear something specific, but usually, he knew what he should be wearing, and just wanted to know about expected color pallette.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I buy most of DH's clothes, or I'm at least along for the ride.......but it's only because DH hates to shop (unless it's clothing for hunting or working out)........but luckily our taste is pretty similar and I learned early on if I buy it and he doesn't like it, he just won't wear it.......so he has to give it a thumbs up for the tag to come off!

DH dresses himself though......he will ask for help in matching ties and dress shirts, and he'll ask "what's the dress code" for an outing........but he picks his own thing.....

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

I pick out and buy nearly all of DH's clothes. I have a better eye for fashion and let's face it, matching, and I'm a better bargain hunter. DH dresses himself in the a.m., but sometimes the way he puts things togther is rather creative.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I buy NOTHING for DH. He dresses himself from head to toe. Ok, I will buy underwear and undershirts and sometimes socks, but nothing else. DH has to wear a suit to work every single day. He is really good a matching things up and must have over 100 ties and tons of belts. Occasionally I will ask him if he wants any polos for weekend wear (sometimes he needs a new color or a fresh shirt), but he tells me what color to get. DH has a pretty varied wardrobe, and he likes most types of mens clothes.

When DS needs a suit DH will be taking him (right now DS and I pick out his clothes). I will have NOTHING to do with it. DH's father always shopped with him and DH wants to do the same and teach DS how to dress. Add to that, DH is much better at putting a suit together than I am.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

LexyLou is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My husband is the gayest straight man I know when it comes to clothing and fashion.

I could NEVER dress him. He is so picky about his clothing and would never let me pick his out.
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

The closest I come is when we are planning outfits for family pictures. I pick the kids stuff out and tell him what I am thinking before I buy their outfits. I make suggestions like, you could wear a red or a black sweater. He always says yes and I think one year he did ask me to buy the sweater. I have also bought a couple of shirts/sweaters as presents over the years, but not many.

So, I voted Hell No.

Catherine

ETA. He does ask me sometimes if an outfit goes together. Sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes the answer is no. He has a tendency to mix neutrals that I would not mix, for example brown shoes with a grey sweater. If he doesn't ask, I say nothing. I have, very occasionally, asked him to dress a bit nicer for something. He grumbles, but complies.
    Last edited by crl; 07-30-2011 at 11:31 PM.

jenfromnj is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by g-mama View Post
    Hell no.

My dh is a great dresser and enjoys fashion and shopping. He has a great wardrobe and great taste. I frequently find "surprise" packages on our front doorstep from J. Crew.
    (well, except most of our surprise packages have come from BR!) DH is probably a better dresser than I am. He definitely has more clothes than I do, and spends more time and effort thinking about exactly what to wear. It leaves no room for commentary by me .

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DH thinks he's a good dresser but I think I'm much better :P I buy most of his clothes though just because I have the time to shop. If I see something, I buy them for him. Or, if we're out together, I suggest things or colors that look good on him. Sometimes he agrees and other times doesn't. But when we go out and I don't like what he's wearing, he usually changes.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast