Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love, love my Beco Gemini. It's perhaps the most useful baby item I own. I love being able to do errands with my hands free. And in the first few months, it was a very reliable way of settling DS down. He'll still pass out in the carrier. He's 20 lbs now and I still do a front carry and I still prefer it to the stroller. I couldn't manage him in the infant carseat after a few weeks. I hate that thing. It stays in the car now unless we use it as a seat at a restaurant, though now that he sits with support, we probably don't need to pop it out of it's base anymore.

FWIW, I had a hard time figuring out both a Moby wrap and a ringsling that 2 different friends lent me. But the SSC (soft structured carrier) has always worked for me. The Beco is pricey (I think around $110) but we use it everyday and I see us using it for a long time. Worth it. You won't know until you are constantly carrying around an infant how nice it is to have your hands free. Good luck, and congrats!
    My baby boy is 3!

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

One last point: I love the closeness of wearing the baby. Makes him imminently kissable.
    My baby boy is 3!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

if i just had my first (DS), and never had to do air travel with baby as infant, and i was not a SAHM, that i could have very, very easily done without a carrier. i was never really into babywearing, and DS didn't like to be held all that much. carrier did come in useful for plane rides though (going thru security or boarding plane, and needing both hands free) or riding subways etc. though that was pretty much it...i never ever wore DS past 8months of age...he never liked it. At 14mos i tried to wear him and he would.not.have it. however, maybe this is rare..maybe i'm the only person on this board who has a baby/toddler who does not like to be worn and would rather walk around.

however, with my 2nd, a carrier was CRUCIAL. DD liked to be held all the time, plus i need both hands free all day to attend to my toddler DS. and i needed the carrier for when i went out with both of them, as DD was not old enough to sit up and usual carseat can't fit in teh shopping cart with a toddler in it as well.

so i wouldn't say a carrier is all that necessary for your first. but no harm in getting one anyway. i had a SLeepywrap that i used maybe five times total with my DS, but i used it multiple times a day for my DD until she was about 3 or 4 months. then i used the Pikkolo (which i had gotten DS for the purposes of traveling).

i agree with PP, don't get an Infantino or a Bjorn. I think many people get a Bjorn (bc it's so popular), hate it bc it hurts their back and then get turned off by babywearing.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 08-16-2011 at 10:53 PM.

What was also really helpful for me was watching Youtube demonstrations on the different types of carriers and how to get a kid in and out. I was all about the Moby, and even became a "wrapping" expert with a stuffed animal, but when it came down to getting the kid in and out quickly, it didn't work for me. A soft structured carrier was the best for me when it came to long term use, but a sling was first, simply for the ease of popping in and out while doing chores around the house.

My advice would be to try to borrow several types of "newborn friendly" carriers from your friends or buy used. If you and/or your baby hates them, just return them or resell them. Repeat the exercise at 4-5 months with the ergo-type carriers if you're feeling adventurous.

On my DC2 registry I only have carriers LOL I personally would not have survived without them. They were by far the most important and the most frequently used baby item I had.

I had:
    - a borrowed ring sling for the newborn stage. I liked it but never felt 100% safe, I always had one hand on DD, but my other hand was free!!!, which was a HUGE relief. There may be better options for newborns.
    - baby bjorn, which killed my back and was promptly returned to the store
    - Ergo after 4 mo, which I loved

Just a note about the bjorns. I have a surprisingly large number of friends who really like them (their spines must be made from steel). A lot of babies really enjoy facing forward in the bjorns. There is a lot of research questionning the safety of forward facing positionning in the carriers though...
    DD February 2010
    DS January 2012

Quote Originally Posted by mjs64 View Post
    One last point: I love the closeness of wearing the baby. Makes him imminently kissable.
    Awwww...one of the best points to be made
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    Awwww...one of the best points to be made
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3