Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Should I get a baby carrier?

For some reason, I can't see myself using a baby carrier all that often. Do I need one? I am a first-time Mom & working on my registry now. I've noticed that carriers are not cheap. Please let me know if this is an item all of you experience Moms feel you could or could not live without. Also, if you decided you cannot live without it, which one do you think is best?

Thanks!!!

Many people love them. I am sure some never, ever use them. I think it is hard to tell ahead of time. I used one some with my oldest, but could not have lived without one for my youngest. She rode/slept in it everyday while I walked my older ds to te bus and supervised him playing outside after school. Also she slept in it with me walking around the house at night for a few bad nights where she wouldn't stop crying otherwise.

I loved my pikkolo and I think they are very easy to use so would recommend them for a new babywearer.

Catherine

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had 2 that I could not have lived without for the first year of DS's life. They were especially useful when shopping, as I didn't want to lug the carseat into the store and take up cart space. DS loved being carried as well. I used my Beco butterfly a lot, then switched to my Ergo when Babysteals had them. I like both, but found that the Ergo was easier to use for front carry, and the Beco was easier for back carry (for me). We still use the Beco occasionally, and DS is 2.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yes, whatever you do, don't get a baby bjorn or infantino. For a newborn, I love the moby wrap, so older babies, an ergo/becco/pikkolo would be ideal for a newbie.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Just echoing others sentiments that some people love 'em and some don't. Do you NEED one? No, probably not. You can totally live without one. But they can be very helpful and useful.

For me, I used it from when DD was 3 months to about 12 months. Around 14 months, my DD just refused to be carried. She hates being warm and she hates being restricted or constricted in any way. It's part of her personality. She has never been snuggly. She JUST NOW will voluntarily cuddle watching TV or reading.

I work full time and when I needed to get out and about I needed to maximize my time. I loved using a carrier for errands and shopping. It seemed so much more simple than lugging the giant carseat around and I felt so detached from DD when she was in her stroller. It was so much easier to push a shopping cart with her in the carrier. I interacted with her more than I would if she were in a stroller. I talked to her constantly when she was in the carrier.

I preferred a SSC (soft structured carrier like Ergo, Pikkolo, etc. I had a Connecta from England) than wraps and slings. I was not handy enough for a wrap and I felt the Moby stretched too much and DD refused to be in a sling. But that was just *my* preference.

There are lots of great posts here on BBB about babywearing. There is also a great site called www.thebabywearer.com where there is TONS of good info. But if you don't want to use a carrier and don't think you will, then don't. Millions of people don't and they do just fine

ETA: Now that I am expecting number 2, I am super excited to dig out our old Connecta and I am shopping carriers again. I got enough out of it the first time around to want to do it the 2nd time around! And I can easily see how, with a toddler running around, a carrier is going to come in handy!

ETA Again...The Baby Wearer also has a FSOT sections so if cost is an issue preventing you from wanting to try a carrier, you could consider buying a used carrrier.
    Last edited by amldaley; 08-01-2011 at 09:27 AM.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Absolutely! I can't even imagine dealing with lugging that stupid bucket seat around (heavy, awkward), tying up a hand or 2 to carry baby by hand when I am trying to do other things (carry bags, open doors) or deal with a stroller (having to always look for elevators or lug a stroller up stairs...). Grocery shopping is much more practical with one too as it is unsafe to put a carseat on top of the cart despite what everyone else does and if you put it in the basket you don't have much space for goods.

Babies tend to enjoy being in a carrier all snuggled up with you. Standing there simply swaying can settle baby down. There are so many brands and styles out there that I think you could find one you liked. My friend borrowed my Beco for her 2nd kid after being anti-baby wearing with her 1st. After listening to all we could do with our baby carriers she decided to try it. She is a convert and still wears her ds at 11m. She just used it the other day while taking pictures at a wedding for her niece. Handy!

Beth

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't think I could have done without one this year. The baby needed the carrier. She is 11 months old and still prefers when I carry her. My older 3 liked the carrier for the newborn stage, and then preferred the stroller once they settled down. I like the Baby Hawk Mei Tai and the Pikkolo.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I also found having one to be very handy. My DS loved it, and he was the kind of baby that wanted to be carried everywhere. Now with my 2nd on the way I expect to use our carriers even more. DS is now 26 months and going through a "carry me" phase and DH just puts him on is back in the Pikkolo.

Do your research and try out different styles and brands of carriers. Don't just register for a Bjorn because they are easy to find at the big box stores. I think the majority of people who get one of those at best find it useful only to a low weight or worse find it very uncomfortable and over priced. You can get much more for your money, or spend less to get something more targeted, with the less-marketed brands.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Could not have lived without my Beco. DD was colicky and had to be held 24/7. She's still very clingy at age 2.5, and most nights I make dinner while carrying her hands free in my Hotsling.

I had a peanut shell pouch with DS that I used quite a lot as well to carry hands-free. He was a giant, so I stopped wearing him in the pouch around age 1, but definitely would have used a soft structured carrier had I had one at the time.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD was and still is very cuddly at almost 17 months.

When I didn't have the wrap I'd registered for when DD was teeny-tiny, I got next-to-nothing done around the house and mostly "forgot" to eat. (My shower was canceled due to snow. Twice.)

Once I had the wrap, it made it easier to run quick errands to Target, the grocery store and even the mall so I could leave the (g-dawful) travel system stroller at home.

I delivered by C-section, so lifting DD in the baby bucket was a PITA for me; it's also crazy bulky and I just didn't have the patience for navigating grocery bags, the bucket and our front door.

I also registered for a SSC (a.k.a. "soft structured carrier") and we still use this when we're going places that aren't stroller-friendly, like others' homes, Cape May and other tight spaces. Ours is an ErgoBaby brand carrier, so it's rated for front, hip and back carries (though I find the instructions for the hip carry confusing and pretty much useless) and can be used 'til DD is 35 lbs. (It'll be a while.)

Yes, they're expensive, but if you look at the features, that money will be spread out over a number of years.

Or, if you're still not convinced it's for you, there are plenty of people willing to buy them in "gently used" condition.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast