Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

With DD1 I didn't get my Beco Butterfly carrier until she was 20 or 21 months old. We only used it for back carrying. With DD1 we used from pretty much birth until about a year in the front carry. We haven't used it much this summer, but I know we will use it more soon in the back carry mode.

I would try a couple of different carriers. I tried the Ergo and it hurt my back with DD1 in it. I much preferred the Beco Butterfly. If you think you are going to want a carrier that offer more carrying positions like the Ergo then look at the Beco Gemini.

I decided on a soft structured carrier because I didn't feel confident enough to use a Moby or Mei Tei wrap style carrier.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I never used one with my first 2 babies. I borrowed several types from friends and just never liked them. Then I had my twins and a friend introduced me to the Mobywrap. It was just what I needed to carry Greenbean around in when he was colicky and wanted to be held for 7 hours at a time.

If I were you, I'd do a little research to find out the best-loved ones and then see if you can borrow some to try when your baby is born. You might be surprised to find you love 'em or hate 'em.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I never used one with my first 2 babies. I borrowed several types from friends and just never liked them. Then I had my twins and a friend introduced me to the Mobywrap. It was just what I needed to carry Greenbean around in when he was colicky and wanted to be held for 7 hours at a time.

If I were you, I'd do a little research to find out the best-loved ones and then see if you can borrow some to try when your baby is born. You might be surprised to find you love 'em or hate 'em.

In my experience a lot of it has to do with the baby, too; some babies love being in a carrier and some really don't. I've tried a few different carriers (Baby Bjorn, Moby Wrap, Ergo, Kozy Carrier, Starsling), and none of them have really worked for us. I wanted to love using a carrier, but we could never find one that both DD and I liked. (Some I thought were super comfy but she hated, some vice versa. She LOVED the Bjorn, I thought it was a torture device. Rinse, lather, repeat.

I might not put one on the registry, and see if you can test some out after your baby's born. (Maybe try out whatever your friends have, or boutiquey baby stores often have carrier workshops where you can try out different carriers and see how they work for you and your baby. Also, YMMV, but I always see Bjorns for super cheap on craigslist, and I actually really liked mine when my DD was under about 13-14 lbs or so)

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think you should at least register for it. Keep receipts and boxes to everything you receive as gifts. If you end up never using it, you can always return it.

I used the Moby and Ergo with DD1 and absolutely loved them. Sometimes it's just easier using a carrier than taking out the carseat. Other times, your baby just wants to be held while you're already out and about or you have other things to do. It's for convenience sake too. Many times, I was pushing an empty stroller (mostly used to carry my diaper bag and other things while I shopped) and wore the baby.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

I would also recommend searching the babywearers website and see if there is a local chapter of babywearers near you. There is a great one in Boston - that will demonstrate how to use different types of wraps and carriers and then allow you to borrow for a month at a time. I tried a few out before I found that I love Mei Tais and went out and bought my own!
    Colleen
    Mom to 2 DS (5/'04 and 1/'09)

My DS refused to be put down for the first 2 months without screaming his little head off. So, a sling absolutely saved me. I have a Balboa Sling, Bjorn, and a BabyHawk Mei Tai. I used the sling with him until he was 2.5 months old and my DH used the Bjorn as soon as he was big enough (8 lbs). My DH still loves the Bjorn, but thinks that some of the parent facing (Ergo, etc.) may be a little more useful for him. As babies get older and start swinging their feet, daddies have to be a little, um, careful that those feet don't swing right into them. :/

I've used the BabyHawk for several months and love that I can throw it in the wash and be done. So easy-peasy.

That said, I agree with PP that sometimes you and your baby will like different things. I found that I honestly could get nothing done for the first couple months of DS's life because he had to be held. So, babywearing helped that. The babywearer.com website is great. I also recommend perusing CraigsList as you can get tons of various carriers much cheaper. Also, if you need for people to buy you things from your registry you KNOW you'll need: carseat, crib sheet, then I wouldn't recommend the carrier on the registry. But, if you can put it on there, I'd totally recommend it, but keep the gift receipt.
    Andi
    Mommy to Little Monkey 2/11

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." — Albert Einstein
    "I believe in pink" - Audrey Hepburn

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!! It is very helpful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ahrimie View Post
    I think you should at least register for it. Keep receipts and boxes to everything you receive as gifts. If you end up never using it, you can always return it.

I used the Moby and Ergo with DD1 and absolutely loved them. Sometimes it's just easier using a carrier than taking out the carseat. Other times, your baby just wants to be held while you're already out and about or you have other things to do. It's for convenience sake too. Many times, I was pushing an empty stroller (mostly used to carry my diaper bag and other things while I shopped) and wore the baby.
    That was me, too......the stroller became the sherpa cart. Boy, do I miss that. I went ou to the "big fancy mall" yesterday for our tax free shopping sans DD and I was REALLY tempted to take her stroller with me to ferry all the bags around!!!!!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

I think it really depends on your lifestyle and your baby! I had one because I really liked the idea of breastfeeding discreetly on the go (did this all the time in my carrier), walking hands-free (good for if you have dogs), and comforting a baby to sleep. I wore my baby everyday, all the time, until she was about 7 or 8 months old. She was a baby who hated the carseat and wouldn't sit in the stroller, so it really saved my life. I think my Beco Butterfly II was the single best purchase on my registry. It was definitely the most used!

For comfort's sake, I would suggesting registering for one with a waist strap. If you look at the Bjorns, they don't have one. Think of how they recommend backpacks with waist straps now for kids to save their backs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast