Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

So they usually drop the morning nap first, right? I seem to remember this was the case with my older two.

When school starts up in a few weeks, I'm going to have to get her up a little earlier. My son needs to be at preschool at 9, so I think I'll start waking her up at 8. The rest of us are all up at 6:30am during the school year. It's nice to have her sleep in a bit, though, while I'm dealing with breakfasts, lunch, getting my other DS out the door to get the bus.

Perhaps because I'll be waking her up at 8, she'll go down for the night at 8 instead of her usual 9pm.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Well, at least in our case, the late afternoon nap gets dropped, and the morning nap (the longer nap) is pushed back to later in the day.

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    Well, at least in our case, the late afternoon nap gets dropped, and the morning nap (the longer nap) is pushed back to later in the day.
    Exactly. The second nap is dropped and then you just try to push the first one late enough so they can make it to bed time. It's a little painful at first bc it takes some time for the am nap to stretch out. But after a few weeks they adjust.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

DD is almost 16mo. She sleeps from 7:30pm to 6:30am each night and then naps 12:30pm to 2:30pm most days.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

7:30 Wake up
    11:30-12:30 or 1 Nap
    5:00-7:00 Nap
    9:30 Bedtime.

She is in daycare and sometimes her morning nap is only 30 minutes. It's not working great for us because she is tired and falls asleep as soon as I get her.

When she is home with me, she usually sleeps 11:3-1:30 and again at around 4:00 for an hour.

We are trying to move everything earlier and her school is helping try to get her to nap twice so she isn't sleeping at home in the evening.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have the worst nap schedule. DS is almost 17 months.

On weekdays the nanny magically gets him to do 2 naps:
    Wake: 7:30
    Nap1: 11
    Nap2: 3 or 4
    (each nap is for an hour or 1.5)
    Bedtime: 10:30 or 11:00 PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried to convince her to drop one nap, but she insists that he needs 2 naps as he is tired. I don't think she can "force" him to sleep if he doesn't want to....so I'm sure he's really tired so that's why he's taking 2 naps.

On weekends, I guess running errands and everything keeps him up so he takes 1 nap:
    Wake: 7:30
    Nap1: 2:00
    (naps for about 2 hours.)
    Bedtime: rarely 10pm. Mostly 11pm. At times even 11:30 or 11:45pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone thinks I'm harming DS developmentally by not trying to get him to sleep earlier, PLEASE feel free to let me know.

I am thinking maybe he takes after DH who really doesn't need a lot of sleep at all?

I'm going to answer even though DS is 9 months old, because for some reason, since he was maybe 6 weeks old, he's "napped like a 1 year old." He takes one mega-sized nap from about 12-3 and maybe a catnap or two in the car. At night he sleeps 7 pm to 6ish am. He usually sleeps through the night but I won't say ALWAYS because the last time I did that, he woke up at 1 that very night!!
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

sweetsue98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Per daycare schedule, nap time is 12 to 2pm. She going to bed at 7pm and gets up at 6:30am. When my DD is home on the weekends....she sneaks in 2 naps sometimes.

PGTB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

DS is 15 months and has been on 1 nap schedule for two months now. He just transitioned to it himself.

wakeup - 6-7am
    nap - 1.5-2 hours on avg. From noon to 2pm, sometimes a bit earlier, sometimes later.
    bedtime - around 8pm, sometimes a bit earlier and some nights way later like 9-9:30pm.

He is a morning bird and this drives me crazy, since he also wakes up several times a night. On a good night he'd wake up about 2 times, nurse quickly and asleep in 5 min. On avg night, he would give us one *good* stretch of 3-4 hours and would be up every hour from 4am. Also likes cluster wakeups, like going to sleep and then waking up 15 min later and again and again... agh.. that is when he is hurting (teething, cold, gas). the worst are the marathon waking session in the middle of the night - 3 hours on avg. these happen very rarely - usually attribute to a major milestone. The latest he had was worst, he was up from midnight to 4am
    DS 04/2010
    DD 09/2013

I remember 14-15 months being the WORST time for us in terms of naps. She wanted the first morning nap around 10, would sleep at least an hour, but wouldn't take an afternoon nap. I forced her to transition to 1 nap at 15 months. She was very, very tired, but would sleep 3 hours after I kept her up to around 11:30 or 12ish. I think kids transition to 1 nap around 16-18 months. Your schedule sounds fine as long as she is sleeping. I read 13 hours in a 24hr period is what is to be expected at this age. Break it down however it works best for your kid.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3