MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Leapster novice. Help Please?

I think Lula is ready for one of these, but to be really honest I have no idea what to get. Leapester? Leap Pad? Cartridges? Games? I feel

Any suggestions of guidance will be greatly appreciated. She is nearly 5, if that helps.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The original one is the Leapster, then there is the Leapster 2 which can be connected to your PC and you can download games. I don't know if you can even find the original Leapster anymore. The newest one is the Leapster Explorer. I think the graphics, screen colour and quality on the Explorer is better. DS and DD1 both have the Leapster 2 and they are happy with them. They are not really "high-tech" kids so they really don't care about the graphics.

The Leapster 2 comes with 2 games already loaded on and you can then download a few basic games for free. That would probably keep an almost 5 year old interested for a short time. Then, you can buy all sorts of cartridge games (Dora, Toy Story, Cars, Star Wars, etc...). I assume that the Explorer is very similar.

DD1 is 4.5yo. She got a pink leapster for her 4th bday. It was a bit of a challenge for her originally but she really wanted one because DS had one. After a few months she got the hang of it. Her favorite games are Toy Story 3, Cars and Dora. DS is almost 7 and he likes Cars and My Amusement Park. DS doesn't really use it a ton anymore, mainly on long car trips. He sometimes asks for a DS. Maybe for his 7th bday...

HTH.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DD and DS1 have the Explorer. I think they really like them. This week, she figured out the camera and goes around taking pics of everyone and decorating them.

Dd has the leapster 2 and its good for as much as she plays with it. A friend gave us a ton of games so I haven't considered upgrading. I do really like the leap pad and if I was buying one today that is the one I would get.

Quote Originally Posted by traciann View Post
    Dd has the leapster 2 and its good for as much as she plays with it. A friend gave us a ton of games so I haven't considered upgrading. I do really like the leap pad and if I was buying one today that is the one I would get.
    I agree - I'm actually bummed we got the Explorer last Christmas and wish we had waited for the cool Leap pad - it seems that the games are interchangable though. We don't have the camera, but we definitely recommend the charger and the carrying case. The Explorer really got DS1 intersted in writing - Mr. Pencil game. We bought through Leapfrog's website when they had a bundle deal and I had a 20% off code from an e-mail.
    Mom to DS1 10.06, DS2 05.09, DD 05.11 and DS 05.11

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

At nearly age 5, I'd get a Nintendo DSXL.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011