Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackMom View Post
    Im not saying she should do it, Im sure its not worth it. Im just saying what I know I would end up doing. Some people's work enviornments are just that cut throat. I worked while I was in labor - certainly dont think it was a good idea after the fact but during I had to get stuff cleaned up for while I was going to be out!
    I think for cases where it can't be controlled and not a one-off situation (getting sick, can't get out of bed), you discuss it with your manager and arrange a set up until things get better (maybe work from home once a week,etc). Even if they permit the time off, it can be looked at like you are taking advantage of things so it might be best to have something formal set up so it's all on the up and up.

For things we can control however (scheduling of dr appts) I do think it's advisable to try to work around work hours (lunch, early AM) - in my opinion it just creates a better perception and is an easy thing to do.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Im not saying she should do it, Im sure its not worth it. Im just saying what I know I would end up doing. Some people's work enviornments are just that cut throat. I worked while I was in labor - certainly dont think it was a good idea after the fact but during I had to get stuff cleaned up for while I was going to be out!
    I'm sorry ... I came off kind of mean. I understood that you weren't trying to advice A-M (OP) to work anyway; I just tried to offer a BTDT and came off badly.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I'm sorry ... I came off kind of mean. I understood that you weren't trying to advice A-M (OP) to work anyway; I just tried to offer a BTDT and came off badly.
    No worries! I am working on cutting back on the work thing. I even took tomorrow off for myself! lol

AM I hope youre feeling better soon and that you can work something out with work. Maybe you can come in later but stay later (if you feel sick more in the morning than later in the day).
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Quote Originally Posted by janine View Post
    I think for cases where it can't be controlled and not a one-off situation (getting sick, can't get out of bed), you discuss it with your manager and arrange a set up until things get better (maybe work from home once a week,etc). Even if they permit the time off, it can be looked at like you are taking advantage of things so it might be best to have something formal set up so it's all on the up and up.

For things we can control however (scheduling of dr appts) I do think it's advisable to try to work around work hours (lunch, early AM) - in my opinion it just creates a better perception and is an easy thing to do.
    I do agree with this. We do have something formal established, but there is still the guilt that goes along with it. I wish I could schedule appointments at better times, but I am seen primarily at a military treatment facility - no early or late appointments. I did specifically ask my boss what time he would prefer I make the rest of my appointments, all of which are more than an hour away from my office. So I do make afternoon appointments and usually on Fridays b.c that is what he asked me to do.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

No worries! I am working on cutting back on the work thing. I even took tomorrow off for myself! lol

AM I hope youre feeling better soon and that you can work something out with work. Maybe you can come in later but stay later (if you feel sick more in the morning than later in the day).
    Yeah, I will be able to do that starting week after next. DH is going in to the feild next week so no evening childcare but after that I am going to be able to flex my hours a little.
    ---------
    A-M

---------

Thanks for all your feedback! I think I am going to talk to my boss about a 35 hour work week, taking 5 unpaid hours each week, so that the expectation is that I get my work done and I am not out of the office otherwise.

And I am already 10+ weeks, so in a few more, I hope this will subside!

I am VERY lucky to have a flexible job as it is and don't want them to think I am abusing it. But DARN IT I feel wretched today. I even called DH to talk DD to her Dr appt this afternoon b/c I don't think I can drive. I also think I need to just admit that my health and DD's health are not 110% and we will most likely forever be "those people" who have to go to more doctors appointments than others.

Going for Tylenol and a nap now.

to you all for the feedback.
    ---------
    A-M

---------

So far I've taken about 5 days. I think 4 were for MS. I'm able to makeup my time missed for doctors appts. I just work very hard to have them scheduled at the end of the day so that I don't miss more than 1-1.5 hrs of work in a given day. Then I start an hour early. Of course, I have a very accommodating doctor, too, who will let me schedule appts far enough in advance that I'm guaranteed the 4:45 or 4:20 appt. (I have an hour commute from work to home/doctors office).

As for being sick...there were MANY days where I'm certain I did little work because I was SO sick...I got sick at work at least 1x/week for the entire first trimester and into the second, but I wasn't about to dip into the 10 days vacation I had...I had a few events that I needed them for. I was sick daily...but usually it would hit hardest on my commute home.

I took 3 days total - one of which I was being induced. I was lucky - thought I felt great most of the time and those few instances where I didn't I could work from home. Drs appts were almost always at lunch so never had to take time for that.

Hope you feel better soon!

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

With both of my successful pregancies I'd take about 2 hrs. a month off for appointments, they were either first thing in the morning or as late in the afternoon as possible. With DD1 I think I took 3 hrs. off for the 20 week ultrasound, with DD2 I did it on a day I happened to be scheduled off, so I think I took 4 hrs. of sick leave. I did have to attend a 2 hr. "congratulations, your pregnant class" with DD1 and had to do the gestational diabetes test so those times I had to take about 3 hrs. off of work. With DD2 I was able to do the gestational test on the weekend.

With the baby we lost I lost track of how many hours I had to take off. I ended up taking 5 weeks of sick leave once I found out about the Trisomy 18.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2