Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Vacation in August - UPDATE!!

UPDATE.....

We ended up going to Destin, FL for the week. It has been awesome! Everyone told us we were crazy to go to FL during August because it's so hot. Let me tell you....It's got NOTHING on Texas right now. Sure it got pretty warm at the peak of the day. Topping out around 91 or 93 degrees. But the ocean breeze made it just fine. The water was actually chilly!

We stayed out at the beach fro 5-7 hours a day!! The 5 year old had an absolute BLAST!! The 18 month HATED the sand! She liked the water, hated the waves. We had a junior suite, so the kids had bunk beds (w/rails) and their own tv in a separate area than our bed. There were 2 sinks in different areas that made it very nice for everyone to get ready.

The food has been great. Lots of other people from Texas as well...all saying the same thing about the heat/weather.

The drive from Texas wasn't bad. We split it up staying in New Orleans overnight. I think we will definitely come back in the future.

Oh, and the best thing about the trip....we stayed at the Hilton Sandestin and were able to use our points, so the lodging was basically free the entire trip (5 days). And we got free continental breakfasts for everyone every single day!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Background: we are in Texas, where the heat index is anywhere from 100-110 on any given day. We have a 5 year old and 17 month old. All 4 of us have our passports, so traveling outside the country is an option.

DH wants to take a week off the week of August 15th and go somewhere before DD1 starts school (Aug. 22nd).

Where should we go? Recommendations? Is there anywhere that is having some cooler temps? We've been to Mexico/Cozumel a lot. Would a cruise be better? Throw me some ideas!!!
    Last edited by lhafer; 08-17-2011 at 08:39 PM.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If you want to get out of the extreme heat, I'd go north not south.

Whistler is lovely this time of year. Banff is very popular too. Really depends on what you want to do, KWIM? Active vacation or relax on the beach??
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

We are renting a house in Outerbanks, NC that week. It is just beautiful there, but probably hard to get to from Texas. My DD is a month younger than your youngest and a beach vacation with a rental house will be nice. That way we have a home base with a kitchen, so I can keep her on her routine. Are there any beaches within a drive?
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

We're getting ready to head out to Disney World next week and we're finishing up with a cruise. We won't exactly be escaping the heat, there

I know there are several lines that cruise from Galveston, so you might be able to score a deal on a last minute cruise.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    We are renting a house in Outerbanks, NC that week. It is just beautiful there, but probably hard to get to from Texas. My DD is a month younger than your youngest and a beach vacation with a rental house will be nice. That way we have a home base with a kitchen, so I can keep her on her routine. Are there any beaches within a drive?
    We are in Houston, so we have beaches within a hour's drive of me. But they are not good beaches - the water is brown because of the Mississippi River.

We were thinking about Sea World in San Antonio, but I'm afraid fo the heat! We were slated to go there back in March or April, but on the drive there (we were about 20 miles from our destination), my baby got really sick, so we turned around and drove home (it was about a total of 6 hours worth of driving!!).

Quote Originally Posted by daniele_ut View Post
    We're getting ready to head out to Disney World next week and we're finishing up with a cruise. We won't exactly be escaping the heat, there

I know there are several lines that cruise from Galveston, so you might be able to score a deal on a last minute cruise.
    Have fun! We just went there last Thanksgiving and had a blast. It's going to be a lot warmer than when we went tho!

Might look into a cruise. Not sure how much he wants to spend.

He just sent me an email asking about Destin, FL. We have Hilton Honors points we can use. Anyone been to Destin? I know it's a hot spot.

Or does anyone have experience or info on Pensicola, Seaside, or Perdid Key?

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    He just sent me an email asking about Destin, FL. We have Hilton Honors points we can use. Anyone been to Destin? I know it's a hot spot.
    Destin is very nice. Beautiful white sand. Haven't been there with kids though so can't speak to that. It will still be very hot there at that time.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Vancouver/Seattle? San Francisco and Monterey Bay?

for Sandy Hook

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast