Default Good beaches in CT?

We're thinking of taking a 1 week beach vacation in CT next year. Any good locations where you can rent a beach house? Not sure if we want to rent or stay in a hotel. Either way, we want it right on the beach.

I live here, so I don't know much about renting houses, but my favorite beach in the area is Hammonnasset, so I would recommend looking around Madison. Niantic/Old Lyme is a popular area for houses directly on the beach but they are jammed up right next to each other.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I totally agree - Hammonnassett! I love that beach. We used to live 20 minutes away from it and have spent many idyllic days on the beach. I am sure you can find places on or near the water there.

for Sandy Hook

Very cool! thanks!

When I was a kid, my grandmother rented a house in Old Lyme every summer. We used to go every weekend and stay a week or two at the house with my grandmother. I have wonderful memories. As an adult, I think the CT beaches are way too cold for me, though.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree with the Hammonnasset recommendation. I spent many summer days there as a kid/teen and loved it. A few friends had cottages/houses nearby in Madison and we had a blast riding our bikes to the beach.

It is so nice to see others mentioning Old Lyme! My grandparents had a cottage there for 25 yrs, and I spent entire summers there as a kid. I have so many wonderful memories of that area Now I live in CA, it saddens me a bit that I won't be able to visit with my son.

I haven't been there in about 10 yrs, so I can't really give an up to date recommendation