Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BayGirl2 View Post

I think the bottom line is that regardless of what everyone else is doing, and even what your doctors are saying, you need to be educated on the various possibilities and willing to adjust to what mother nature gives you.
    I think that is a great takeaway. Ironically, the same circle that is so pro-induction/pro-epidural is also very pro-breastfeeding. It really DID help when breastfeeding proved difficult with DS1 that EVERYONE around me was doing it. It was much harder to fall back on formula. I appreciate these kinds of threads because I feel like it gives us choices and power!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My friend ended up with a c-section for her posterior, 8lb baby this past winter. She was really asking me if there was something she could have done to prevent it. When I found she had an epidural I thought that could be it but she had an awesome epidural and/ or amazing mind over body. She had no epidural for the 1st 24 hours. Then spent labor and delivery up and moving and changing positions. Hands and knees, on the ball...and her little guy just was stubbornly in such a way that she couldn't get him down and out after 2 hours of pushing. They offered to let her go as long as she wanted, which is just amazing nowadays! sometimes it just happens. Sometimes there are a lot of tools in the toolbox that aren't brought out.

Beth

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Beth, thanks for sharing that. It is good to remember that sometimes it just happens--despite our best intentions and even sometimes despite the best current knowledge!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I understand that! Just curious about the position (anterior, posterior...) of your first and whether they checked on that/ will check on that this time? That was my big question with ds2 bc ds1 was posterior and that brought on extra challenges.

Beth
    Just curious, was DS2 posterior? My DS was and I really don't want to relive 40+ hours of labor again if possible. I've heard though that there's a higher risk of a repeat posterior baby.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Just curious, was DS2 posterior? My DS was and I really don't want to relive 40+ hours of labor again if possible. I've heard though that there's a higher risk of a repeat posterior baby.
    Same here. My Doula did mention that sitting in a very reclined position can make the baby roll so their heaviest parts (back of head) are on the bottom. She said that when looking at this loungy chair I have in my bedroom. That makes sense bc I spent a lot of time sitting like that on the couch before I went into labor with DS. Now if I sit semi-reclined I can feel DD moving around a bit. This time I am trying to either lay down or sit up. If I recline for a while I try to get on my hands and knees or lean forward over a counter to feel if she slides back around.

Anyone else hear of this? Maybe its not true, but I'm willing to do what it takes to avoid back labor this time.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Ds2 was not posterior- it was something I worried about a lot and my midwives understood. The one midwife told me to stay off the couch and sit in a birthing ball instead. Sitting like the Thinking Man (whatever it's official name is) statue is very helpful too.

Beth

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Ds2 was not posterior- it was something I worried about a lot and my midwives understood. The one midwife told me to stay off the couch and sit in a birthing ball instead. Sitting like the Thinking Man (whatever it's official name is) statue is very helpful too.

Beth
    Good to hear, sounds similar to what my doula said. I just find it so uncomfortable to lean forward. Even in the first trimester I feel all squished in my lower stomach area. But I am working on it, trying to keep the baby facing back.

Oh, its "The Thinker" :-)
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Fwiw...my baby #1 was posterior, and had a hand up balled in a fist, held to the top of his head. Lots of fun I held out out till 9.5 cm. without drugs, then caved for an epidural when an intense pain hit me. Now I know it was him getting ready to crown, and if someone had checked me first, I could have been pushing. He came out drugged up, poor guy.

Baby #2 I was on the birthing ball from start to finish, and my labor was only 3 hours, baby was anterior.

Baby #3 I was on all 4's and squatting alot, baby was anterior, labor was 5 hours.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Quote Originally Posted by BayGirl2 View Post
    Good to hear, sounds similar to what my doula said. I just find it so uncomfortable to lean forward. Even in the first trimester I feel all squished in my lower stomach area. But I am working on it, trying to keep the baby facing back.

Oh, its "The Thinker" :-)
    Yeah, your belly is supposed to hang down between your knees. Slightly more comfortable.

Ah, The Thinker! Thanks!

Beth

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5