Default Holy Wacky Cravings!

I had very few cravings with DD. Steak. Oranges. Chocolate Reisen. Cheese.

But I am having overwhelming crazy cravings with this pregnancy! I want fish sticks and milk shake. Neither are something I normally would ever eat. And I want them RIGHT NOW. I feel like if I don't get them, I might actually cry. (I can't even have a regular milk shake and can not be bothered to drive the 25 minutes each way to the nearest store with non-dairy ice creams...)

Anyone else with wacky cravings that are almost overwhelming?
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Not so far this pregnancy, but with DD it was a Friday night and I told DH I wanted sour patch kids and Claussen pickles. He laughed, because he thought I was joking, and I started crying because I REALLY wanted them. He was baffled I was so upset, but promptly went to the store to buy them for me. And yes, I ate them together - so disgusting.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Milkshakes! Those are CLASSIC pregnancy cravings. I don't even usually drink regular milk (a function of having a DH and two DS with lactose intolerance) but I was CRAVING really thick shakes! Rice milk wasn't cutting it. I swear my body NEEDED that milk fat!

Fish sticks. That's a bit different. I craved spicy food though. Forget saltines and give me Thai food anyday!

I must say your cravings last time around look like someone dealing with low iron. Was that an issue? My SIL also craved red meat and oranges. Turns out to absorb all that great iron in red meat you need Vit. C! Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Milkshakes! Those are CLASSIC pregnancy cravings. I don't even usually drink regular milk (a function of having a DH and two DS with lactose intolerance) but I was CRAVING really thick shakes! Rice milk wasn't cutting it. I swear my body NEEDED that milk fat!

Fish sticks. That's a bit different. I craved spicy food though. Forget saltines and give me Thai food anyday!

I must say your cravings last time around look like someone dealing with low iron. Was that an issue? My SIL also craved red meat and oranges. Turns out to absorb all that great iron in red meat you need Vit. C! Who knew?
    Well, give my Thai food any day...pregnant or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We actually celebrated my telling DH I was pg with Thai fusion.

And yes, low iron IS an issue! All three of us are slightly anemic, so DH and DD are on supplements. My Dr wants to wait and see during pregnancy due to risk of iron overdose. I am drinking OJ every day though!

Totally agree with you that rice milk just. does. not. cut. it. Coconut milk ice cream seems to get me a little close to where I need to be on the milkshake factor.
    ---------
    A-M

---------

Quote Originally Posted by waitingforgrace View Post
    Not so far this pregnancy, but with DD it was a Friday night and I told DH I wanted sour patch kids and Claussen pickles. He laughed, because he thought I was joking, and I started crying because I REALLY wanted them. He was baffled I was so upset, but promptly went to the store to buy them for me. And yes, I ate them together - so disgusting.
    Awwwww...and...eeewwwww!

Craving acid, were ya? What a sweet husband!
    ---------
    A-M

---------

I'm craving roast beef and mashed potatos so badly! I can't make it because our kitchen is being redone and we have no stove and the only place around here with good homestyle food is 1 1/2 hours away. I m counting the days til our kitchen is done. Oh yeah and a Chunky bar which I randomly found at a little drugstore last night, it tool me a week to find it though.
    DD1- 5/2008
    DD2- 3/2012
    Expecting a Boy July 2014!

soon2b4 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I am to the frosting phase. I went through it the first time, too. I could care less about the cake, just give me the frosting - buttercream, please.

Olives (green) have been my other one this time around... so, not too weird.

ETA: oh, and Kool-Aid - which we rarely have in the house. (So, SUGAR, I guess...)
    Happily married to DH 01/96
    Mom to:
    DD1 01/04
    DD2 09/11