Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default You put nail polish on an American girl doll?!?!

Yes. They did. A doll that is 2 weeks old. DD is at American Girl camp this week. Today she came home with pink nail polish on her doll. It never occurred to me to make sure this wouldn't happen. I guess tomorrow I'll double check that they aren't cutting the hair, or putting makeup on them. This makes me really mad. DD would never do this on her own and to be taught such a thing at a camp it's awful.

So, anyone know how to take nail polish off dolls?
    Kris

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Are you kidding? I don't understand! Is this some kind of magic polish that will come off with water or something? I would be really mad, is this put on by AG?

It is at our gymnastics center. I'd heard really nice things about it and my kids did other campus there this summer.

It definitely does not come off with water. It looks like regular polish. I think I will call AG.

DD now says some of the older girls were doing this, not the adults. But I can't believe it was allowed to happen. I will be talking to them tomorrow to see what they say.
    Kris

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ok:
    1) AG doll camp sounds like the most fun thing ever EVER. I would have died with joy as a kid.
    2) I would be concerned that they weren't monitoring kids well enough if this was allowed to happen. I mean, even if the older girls were sitting in a little group with younger ones, I think they should have been watched more closely.
    3) I think I would try nail polish remover, I don't see why it would hurt.

Call AG before putting anything on the dolls. I've had acetone (polish remover) melt plastic before.

I called camp. It was the daughter of the person in charge and she knows about it. She said they do it all the time with no problems. She users nail polish remover on a Q tip.

I called AG who said try baking soda mixed with water onto a paste. She said not to use mail polish remover. She thought the only real way is to get new limbs.

I am still really angry about this.
    Kris

There is non-acetone nail polish remover available. It was the only stuff my mom would let my sister use as she had this tendency to knock over the bottles. Little sis ruined my mom's brand new Ethan Allen coffee table that way.

Good luck removing the nail polish. And thanks for the reminder. I need to make sure DD#1 doesn't get that into her head.

Jen
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

I think I will let it stay on for now. DD likes it. I can't really fault her, although I've told her that we aren't painting the dolls nails. But, when it's another adult endorcing it, it's tough for a 5 yo to say no to it. Ideally, she would have, but realistically, it's not her personality.

When we do take it off, I'll try the baking soda paste and if that doesn't work, the non-acetone remover. I've read a few places that say it doesn't appear to damage the doll if you use just a little on a Q-tip and then wash it off.

Otherwise, camp is fun . They've done the hair, had a fashion show, and are having a tea party tomorrow. They do gymnastics with the dolls and help them bounce on the trampoline, etc. Very cute.
    Kris

DH is livid. He does not want to send her back for tomorrow and Thursday. He wants me to ask them for the $40 it'll cost us to get new limbs put on at the doll hospital.

I kind of agree, especially since this doll is only 2 weeks old. It'd be different if it were one of many or a garage sale find or years old and well loved.

DD would be crushed to not return. I do plan on making it clear that the doll needs to return in the same condition it is in the morning. I do not it to end up that tomorrow is hair cut day, paint makeup on day, or pierce the ears day.

What do you think? Should she return? Should I ask for a partial refund?
    Kris

Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would be livid as well. Putting nail polish on an AG doll in my book would be completely inappropriate behavior. That the mom in charge thinks it is no biggie is very weird - even if she thinks its okay for HER child and dolls her family paid money for, doesn't mean that she should allow putting nail polish on other people's dolls while their children are in her care. It shows a lack of appropriate decision making on her part (or else she is making an excuse after inadequate supervision, which would also be a problem!). I'd be inclined to cancel the rest of camp too and ask for a refund for days not attended. Gymnastics can be dangerous and if the person in charge doesn't have good common sense judgement I wouldn't want my child in the class.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast