Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tax assessor is coming

The assessor is coming tomorrow. I hate having to clean out the closets and in general clean for a stranger to come and inspect my house for tax purposes. Where I live if you don't let them in you can't fight your evaluation if you think it is too high. Only if you let them in do you have the right to argue. The right to argue is stronger than my shame of a messy house.

I have three ASD kids. I don't have time to be doing this!!!!!!! I want to cry because I don't want someone to see how bad my house is. I can get the main areas clean for family get togethers but there are always doors closed to certain rooms as I need somewhere to shove stuff. Now I can't do that. Several loads have gone to Good Will already (they came last week and I told them they had to make an appointment...they didn't like it but I know my rights and they have to make an appointment if you request one).

At least the assessor isn't from this area so it's not like I will run into him out in public and feel like I need to wear a bag over my head. Last week he tried to get in by saying he wasn't looking at the cleaniness of the house. Didn't work as there was no way he was coming in the door unannounced.

Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The last time an assessor came to our neighborhood there was no warning. He just showed up. The house was pretty messy. He sincerely assured me that he didn't care - he certainly didn't look in any closets, either, though he did check the basement (to make sure we hadn't finished it on the sly, I guess).

I honestly wouldn't worry about the tax accessor. I doubt they go in to that much detail and a messy house *might*get a smaller appraisal. Maybe not, but it couldn't hurt.

Don't worry.
    Mama to 3

nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Octobermommy View Post
    I honestly wouldn't worry about the tax accessor. I doubt they go in to that much detail and a messy house *might*get a smaller appraisal. Maybe not, but it couldn't hurt.

Don't worry.

I surely wouldn't feel compelled to clean for the tax assessor. I'm sure he's seen much, much worse!
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Octobermommy View Post

Don't worry.

I wouldn't clean for an assessor. Our whole town got reassessed two years ago, we knew what 3-day time frame to expect a knock on the door, and that was it. It never occurred to me to clean out closets or anything else for him. Let him see it in all its glory!
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Trust me, they do.not.care and if they did (which, really, they do not care), they've seen way worse.

They have a chart. Stuff to measure, stuff to verify, etc. State of toy-explosion or junk mail is NOT on their list.

If you were a crazy cat hoarder, maybe worry, but as long as you aren't into code violating clutter, seriously, you certainly do not owe his visit one iota of stress.

I do real estate. Assessors and appraisers really truly are looking at the structure, not the everyday clutter.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

They really don't care, don't sweat it. They just count bedrooms.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

They aren't going to care, really. If it were me, I'd make sure the house wasn't gross and that all the rooms looked halfway decent and could be measured if necessary. But, I would not clean a closet or even a toilet for them to come.
    Kris

It's not a real estate showing, it's a tax assessment. You WANT it to look like crap.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Unless there is serious filth or a fire hazard I would stop cleaning. If anything a little clutter will work to your advantage in this particular situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast