Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Argh! What were they thinking? Seems dumb to me and I don't have girls, or AG dolls!

I would let her return with instructions not to do anything that damages the doll AND ask for a partial refund for the repair. That was just a bonehead move on their part.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm leaning towards letting her finish camp and asking for $40 for the repairs.

I'm a bit worried about asking for the money though. We like the gym. The kids take gymnastics classes there. I don't want there to be issues following us through that. Generally, we have been happy with the supervision in their camps and I've even sent DS2, who is just 3.
    Kris

I would let her return, and I wouldnt ask for money. Maybe Im a push over...I certainly would be pi$$ed because those dolls are so expensive and I would make it very clear that they need to think about things like that and that the doll is to come home in the same condition as it arrived. But I dont think this is worth pulling her out of camp or demanding money for, its obviously something they do regularly (not that it makes it ok) and have never had a problem with so they didnt think otherwise. Now you are pointing out the problem and they are aware.
    just my 2 cents, I dont think its worth the drama, Im sure DD would be really upset if she couldnt return and you wouldnt want any bad blood since you like the gym and they havent done wrong by you before.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

I would be pretty mad too, especially with a new doll! I wonder if the nail polish would wear off with time. I think if you let her go back I would double check with the person in charge to make sure nothing else will happen to the doll. I wonder if other parents were mad?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackMom View Post
    I would let her return, and I wouldnt ask for money. Maybe Im a push over...I certainly would be pi$$ed because those dolls are so expensive and I would make it very clear that they need to think about things like that and that the doll is to come home in the same condition as it arrived. But I dont think this is worth pulling her out of camp or demanding money for, its obviously something they do regularly (not that it makes it ok) and have never had a problem with so they didnt think otherwise. Now you are pointing out the problem and they are aware.
    just my 2 cents, I dont think its worth the drama, Im sure DD would be really upset if she couldnt return and you wouldnt want any bad blood since you like the gym and they havent done wrong by you before.

My thoughts exactly. I certainly wouldn't be happy, but I'd let it go but I'm like that about things that aren't really hurting anyone.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

non-acetone polish remover on the nails. wash the hands with soap and water. if anything remains, oxy-10 on the stains, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for a day or so, wash off oxy and repeat if needed.

There are lots of great web sites on how to restore the dolls yourself. I think you can avoid a trip to the AG hospital!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't know what I would do but I would really be frustrated. If it had just been a doll camp and people were bringing, I dunno, dolls from BRU that would be a bit different (I still would not like it) but AG dolls, this is just crazy! They are high end dolls, and I can't imagine you are the only parent who would be upset by this. I have older ones but I still don't want them ruined with nail polish. Hope you get it off safely!

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ive had nail polish remover damage plastic, leaving a dull white stain on it. So i certianly wouldnt put any (even on a qtip) on an AG doll. I would speak to the director and tell her AG said to try baking soda and water or new limbs at $40 and give her the oppertunity to make the doll like new. If you use the nail polish remover damages the doll i'd be concerned she'd claim it was your fault but if she damages it with her own attempt she'll be the one eatting the $40. Is it possible to chip the polish off, maybe after soaking it hot water? That would probably be the best way to go.

Who lets thier kid bring nail polish to camp in the first place???

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackMom View Post
    Same here. I know they're expensive, but they're still a child's toy. I guess I expect that if you send a toy to a camp stuff happens. I get being mad that they did it without asking, but I wouldn't ask for $40, and I certainly wouldn't pull her out of camp. I would suggest to the teacher/counselor that they let parnts know BEFORE they make changes to the dolls (duh!)
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

She's going to continue camp. We're working on taking off the polish. It seems to be chipping off fairly easily and DH is good at that detail stuff, so he's doing it.

What bothers me the most, after living with it all day, is that we've really worked hard to teach the kids to take care of toys. She has had a Corolle doll for 1.5 years and even at 3.5 yo, she understood that the doll hair brush is only for the doll and she should never use a human hair brush on the doll. She doesn't carry the dolls by their hair, throw them, etc. So, adding nail polish, when we had talked about not doing that, is working against what we've been talking to her about. And, that is why it's coming off tonight - to reinforce that we don't put nail polish on dolls. I worry that if we leave it on, it'll give her ideas that using paint to put eye shadow on is okay. Or a hair cut. And she'll end up looking like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-GIRL-DO...item2c5e5703e3!

So, my plan is to not ask for a refund. But, to let them know how disapointed I am that this was part of the camp and to make sure they know that the parents need to know before this happens in the future.
    Kris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast