Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Scheduling a c-section

I have had two sections after long difficult labors. Now I'm facing scheduling for because of the previous ones and an additional medical issue. I'm terrified. How do you walk into that knowing what you're getting yourself into? Medical stuff freaks me out and this is very major surgery with both of us taking the risks.
    What do you do to get there not stressed out completely?

I had a scheduled c-section with DS2 due to him being breech. Although I realize that you're going to be more stressed due to the risks associated with yours, I'll share what I did in case it helps. Medical stuff scares me too, so I wanted to do everything I could to stay calm and this really did help:

(1) I wore headphones from the time that they wheeled me into surgery until the time that the c-section was completed and I was sewn up. I had loud praise music playing so I couldn't hear anything the doctors were saying. I felt like hearing them talk about what they were doing would make me way more anxious.

(2) I wore an eye mask (one that was lavender scented to further help with relaxation) the ENTIRE time. I put it over my eyes before I was wheeled into the surgery room and only slid it up on my forehead to see my son when they brought him over to me. I then put it back over my eyes until I was in the recovery room. For me, not seeing the room that I was in or how many doctors were in there really helped me to stay calm.

By not hearing or seeing what was going on, I was able to zone out completely, pray during that time, and stay calm. As a result, the surgery ended up being WAY easier than my vaginal delivery with DS1 (although the recovery was harder, of course).

I hope everything goes well for you and your baby.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't have coping methods for you, but I can offer commiseration. My C is in 6 days, and while I am very happy to be having this kid, I am also pretty scared. I just keep focusing on that moment when I will finally see his face for the first time.

Justlearning, your tips sound great! I wouldn't even have thought about bringing music. I may have to do that.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I like justlearnings tips too! OP, remind yourself that a scheduled C is so much easier than an emergency one and that your recovery *should* be easier too since you won't have the exhaustion of a long labor before you go in to surgery. Just focus on that sweet baby and try to stay calm.

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just had a scheduled c-section, after an unplanned one that I needed the first time around (never went into labor or got remotely close, was induced when the placenta started to look wonky, induction failed miserably, etc). I also have a medical condition that can make surgery a bit dicey. It may help you to know, going in, that IME a scheduled section is MUCH easier than an unplanned one. Your body is not already exhausted and physically stressed from a long unsuccessful labor, and you are not emotionally drained either. Because the whole medical team has had time to plan, and because everything is calmer, not an emergency, I found that they were much more on top of my particular issues - for example, w/the first section, they couldn't quite get the anesthesia right and I wound up throwing up violently pretty much the whole time, and the second time the anesthesia team was like a well oiled machine, adjusting meds many times throughout so I had no issues. Also, they couldn't get my bleeding under control the first time, and I almost needed to be transfused. No issues w/that the second time b/c my body hadn't been through the same trauma beforehand.

I also found recovery to be much better and easier from a scheduled section. I felt pretty good pretty quickly, and was up and around faster, and just physically better off all around. It was like night and day from the first one.

I don't mean to say it's a total walk in the park - it's still major surgery of course. And I was still skeeved out to know ahead of time what it feels like - to me it's like all of my organs are being rummaged through - ack! But still, the experience was much better the second time around.
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've had a section after a FTP and also a scheduled section. It can be a little nerve wracking to walk into a surgery. If my experience is any indication, though, the nice thing is that they are very quick and efficient. It is over very quickly and before you know it, there is a babe in your arms! The recovery is much easier than having gone through labor and THEN major surgery and c-sections are very, very common and very successful!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

For my 3rd, it was planned (not scheduled though). I made it the birth I wanted as much as possible. It got my mind off the surgical part and focused on the birth part.

I had a mirror set up so I could watch DS2 being born. I know that's not for everyone, but I loved it.

I had the nurses give him to me immediately and before being cleaned, etc. This is what I missed the most from not having a vaginal birth, so I really wanted to see the newborn, slimy baby. I did and it was awesome.

I delayed the eye drops so that we could have some beginning time together without the shiny eyes.

Recovery was much easier for the 3rd planned birth than the other 2 that were not planned.
    Kris

csnoop is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Not to freak you out more or anything... I had two scheduled c-sections with my kids because of a prior medical issue/surgery as well. My first child decided to come before the scheduled date. She was huge (9 lbs 5 oz) so I was glad that she was early and didn't have to deliver her vaginally. I also had to go to an alternate hospital because the hospital I was suppose to give birth at was completely full. The nurse had to give us directions on how to get there. It was little nutty.

I have to say that after each subsequent surgery, it does get a little easier. You know what the recover is going to be like. So everyone is a bit more relaxed, DH included.

CC

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Honestly, I just tried not to think about it. Which was hard for my Type A self, but I really tried to let a lot of things go.

I did have a doula with my section though, because I knew DD would have to go to the NICU and I wanted someone with me while she went to the NICU. The doula aslo helped me pump and helped me remember to ask for things in recovery, which was nice.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)