Default dry chapped lips/face

I am going crazy! I think I burnt my lips at the beach last month. My lips were really chapped and bothering me. I've been using medicated Blistex and now my lips are better but the edges are really dry and now the skin around them is chapped and burnt looking. I used antibiotic ointment on my skin and it got better for a week or so but now it's back worse than ever! I have an appointment with a dermatologist in a month (I made the appointment months ago!) and don't really want to go to my primary for advice.

Anyone here have any advice? Creams/ointments/at-home remedies?

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Aquaphor?
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

2nd the aquaphor. use it multiple times a day, but especially at bedtime.

Thanks ladies. I'll add it to my collection of creams and oitments!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I just got back from vacation and burnt my lips too. Ugh.

However, I read Aquaphor has a new lip ointment, so I tried it. Works really well! I got it at Walmart in with the lip balms.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

from your description, it may also be an allergic reaction. I get an allergic reaction to sunblock on the lips and all lipgloss and my lips become as you describe whenever I put it on. i couldn't even put any medicated lip balm, it was so bad. the dr told me to use hydrocortisone on it. just my experience. hope the aquaphor works for you and it is not an allergy!

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mezzona View Post
    from your description, it may also be an allergic reaction. I get an allergic reaction to sunblock on the lips and all lipgloss and my lips become as you describe whenever I put it on. i couldn't even put any medicated lip balm, it was so bad. the dr told me to use hydrocortisone on it. just my experience. hope the aquaphor works for you and it is not an allergy!
    I swear hydrocortisone is a miracle cream. We use it for a TON of things.

Maybe it's just burnt, maybe it's a reaction but wouldn't hurt to put a thin layer of hydrocortisone and then some aquaphor.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You know what works well for me.. Body Shop lip balms! BUT only the creamy ones, like almond or coconut. I swear by these. Nothing with petroleum jelly.

I use Burts Bees SPF lip balm as a preventive measure when I go out.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis