Thread: Back from DLR!

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Back from DLR!

We got back last night from a week in Southern California (San Diego and DLR). We had a great trip!

I grew up going to WDW and this was my first time to DLR, so it was fun to see the differences. We loved Fantasyland. The storybook land rides were big favorites of my girls. We met Rapunzel which was a big hit. They loved pixie hollow (both to meet the fairies and to see it lit up at night). IASW remains their favorite ride. Toontown was much cuter at DL. DH enjoyed Star Tours, and we both LOVED Indy. We spent a lot of time at Ton Sawyer's Island and they actually liked the Haunted Mansion. We saw a coronation thing at the Princess Fantasy Faire which was cute.

We didn't spend a ton of time at DCA, but enjoyed Aladdin and the new Ariel ride and lunch with the princesses. The challenge trail over there was also fun. Oh, and the Toy Story zoetrope was amazing. We could see some of what they were building for carsland and it looks incredible. We did drag the girls on Soarin - one liked it, the other didn't.

Even though it was really crowded, the waits never seemed that long. We got there early and took breaks in the afternoon. The food was mostly terrible. Ariel's was okay, but very heavy food for lunch in August. The weather was perfect.

We were not big fans of the Hojo. (sorry!). I know it is popular here and on the disboards, but I honestly thought it was pretty dismal. I would not go back there.

We did end up buying Target strollers as all the walking was too much for my girls.

We were there (DLR) 3 days and had fun, but it was maybe a little long for us. But - my girls wouldn't go on many of the big rides. We were able to do all we wanted to do, and some of it multiple times.

We had a great trip! I can try to answer any questions. Oh, and LAX wasn't that bad! (And we did stop at Harbor House in Sunset beach on our way down on arrival day. I think Annie suggested it and it was just what we needed, so thanks, Annie!)

Thanks for the trip report. How old are your girls? We are scheduled to go in a few weeks. I wasn't even going to try bringing them on HM as my 5 year old is timid. I also wasn't sure about any of the dark rides. I showed her the Ariel ride on YouTube and just seeing Ursula freaked her out!

My girls are 5.5 are usually HUGE scaredy cats.

They refused to set foot on Buzz - no idea why or what scared them in the entrance, but wouldn't even consider it.

The Ariel ride wasn't too scary (for my girls). There is an Ursula scene, but it wasn't too intense. Mr. Toad and Alice (which I dragged them on) were much scarier for them, because they were more chaotic with loud noises and being hurtled through intense scenes. We thought Ariel's ride was much calmer. We have not seen the movie, so we didn't have any Ursula baggage going in, though

I did drag them on Pirates because I wanted to see it. They hated it. We talked about Haunted Mansion and they wanted to try it. At first they shut their eyes in the stretching room, but by the end they kept them open (we rode multiple times). I am not sure why they were okay with it - again maybe because it isn't really loud and chaotic. They also liked the haunted cave on Tom Sawyer's island, so who knows?

So as far as dark rides - POTC, Alice, and Mr. Toad were BAD for us. Peter Pan was okay. Mermaid and Haunted Mansion were fine. (but I have no idea why HM was okay). We had done Pooh in WDW and they hated it last year. Didn't even consider snow white.

eta: I would say that I thought HM would be too much for my girls, and even after riding, I am not sure why they were okay with it. So I don't want it to sound like I am recommending it for your dd. It will probably be too much for her. But for some reason, my girls who are afraid of everything were not bothered by it. I just asked dd why it wasn't scary and she said because she knew it was just machines.
    Last edited by fivi2; 08-21-2011 at 12:11 PM.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH was at DL yesterday! We've been 100 times but never stayed there.

Curious about which places you ate? This is always such an individual thing. DH ate at Rancho Del Zocalo yesterday and usually loves it. He said it was terrible--his food was soggy!

Glad you like our Fantasyland and Toontown. I agree, the DL versions are fabulous!

My DS is almost 8 years old and hates Peter Pan (he's afraid!) but LOVES the Haunted Mansion. Not sure what it is about that ride. It is slow and smooth and for DS with his motor issues, I do think it is an issue!

What didn't you like about HoJos? I am staying there in Sept and hope it beats the Park Vue Inn and Desert Inn & Suites where we stayed in June/August. We just came back from PVI and were at the parks on 8/17-19.

We LOVE eating at the new & improved Hungry Bear. A full review here:
    http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/0...th-a-new-menu/
    & more details:
    http://www.disunplugged.com/2011/03/...ulinary-quest/

I am a vegetarian and LOVED the tomato sandwich. They also have the $3.99 mac & cheese for the kids.

At DCA this trip we tried the new Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta. The pizza was really good- fun toppings. I also loved the brownie and the kids of course loved the mac & cheese. Seating area was really nice. Info:
    http://www.disunplugged.com/2011/07/...nia-adventure/

I had a long reply typed out, but then the boards ate it when they went down...

Basically, the hojo was, imo, just a two star motel. The room was small, the walls thin, the bed tragically bad, it seemed old and musty and never really clean. We had a deluxe queen room - maybe the kid suites are better.

We thought the walk was pretty far and we are all in decent shape. (we came back in the afternoon, so making two round trips a day). My kids were not into the splash pad, so we were in the crowded regular pool.

I don't feel like I have really high standards - we had just come from the Best Western Island Palms in San Diego and thought it was great. I know a lot of people love it, and it is highly rated on Tripadvisor and the disboards, so obviously we are outliers.
    I am sure you will be fine there as everyone else seems to like it, we just did not care for it. I keep thinking I might be being too harsh, but then I remember how much we really didn't like it... So I am sticking with my opinion!

eta: on the plus side, we didn't have any freeway noise which I have heard others complain about!
    Last edited by fivi2; 08-22-2011 at 09:54 PM.

The HoJo is a two star hotel/motor inn but just next to Disneyland. We went just a couple of weeks after the Kids' Suites were completed and our suite was great and brand new. And dirt cheap. $99 a night! I would expect much, much more for $400 a night at Disneyland, if you know what I mean. The water park at the HoJo was great for little kids but it is not a swanky hotel or even business class hotel. My in-laws regular room rate was $59-79 a night with the Entertainment Card so that is the price of a flea bag motel, which the HoJo was not. Just don't expect a resort . . . Not disagreeing with OP, but just trying to let other posters who might be concerned know what to expect.