emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Board games for toddler

I think we are ready for some board games in our house. What are your favorites? DD turned 3 in April. Thank you.

Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Candyland
    Chutes and Ladders
    Memory
    The Ladybug game
    Hi Ho Cherry-o

Paperdoll game - http://www.amazon.com/eeBoo-PDGM-Eeb.../dp/B000OZZHD6
    DD3 actually likes a Maisy dress up game we have better but it isn't made anymore and she can play this one fine and her 8 y/o sister likes it better becuase it's not as babysish. BTW if you ever see the "Masiy dress up game" at a yard or consignment sale - grab it up - I bought it at yard sale for 25cents 5 years ago and it was a fave of both girls and their friends even though they have no other interest in Maisy.

Candyland Castle

Pretty Pretty Princess *

Memory * (we take out some cards to make it easier/faster)-started at 3 1/2

A second for Zingo *

Cranium Hullabaloo *- not a board game - but a fun active game, we've all had fun with this for years and my youngest has joined in since age 3, maybe yonger with a little help
    http://www.amazon.com/Cranium-16518-.../dp/B00008MIGQ

The * ones, my 8 year old still likes - or at least is willing to play with her 3 year old sister, so these get a bonus recommendation in our house!

I know there are more....I just can't remember

Hi Ho Cherry Oh is a definite "no" for us - the cherries go everywhere and she doesn't have the patience/dexterity for counting them out, even though she could. We hate every time one of the kids pulls it out becuase it never gets finished and cherries are everywhere.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DD loves playing with hi ho cherry-o but we had to ban it since those little bits always got into Ds's mouth.

DD's favorite is Red Rover. She also loves Elefun but I think it is a pitb and don't bring it out often.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by katydid1971 View Post
    Thank you for this! Just got my Cariboo Island order from Amazon and played it with DD 3 times in a row. It was actually kind of .... fun. After zombieing through Candyland it was a pleasure to actually enjoy a board game with a 3 year old. Also fun to see what she knew and didn't know. I was suprised that she knew her letters and shapes but not most numbers, for example. And what she was able to figure out (and not) from that. Very cool and definitely worth $10.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Haba Orchard has been a huge hit here

REcently, we tried Snail's Pace Race and I like it even better because setup time is less

Hiss the Gamewright card game is fun and easy to tote along as well.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

family pastime games!

sleeping grump!
    Last edited by hellbennt; 08-27-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: to add url
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Thank you for this! Just got my Cariboo Island order from Amazon and played it with DD 3 times in a row. It was actually kind of .... fun. After zombieing through Candyland it was a pleasure to actually enjoy a board game with a 3 year old. Also fun to see what she knew and didn't know. I was suprised that she knew her letters and shapes but not most numbers, for example. And what she was able to figure out (and not) from that. Very cool and definitely worth $10.
    So glad you liked it.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Cariboo
    Uno Jr.
    Hi Ho! Cherry-O
    Memory (We started out using probably 1/4 of the cards and at the very beginning, had a stack/draw pile of half of those and laid the others out on the table. Then, we would flip a card from the pile and see if DC could find the match on the table. Then, we progressed to the regular rules but without all of the cards).
    Busytown
    Curious George Discovery Beach Game
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)