Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Magnadoodle vs aquadoodle

What exactly are these things and which one would be better for an almost 2 year old? I'm guessing the magnadoodle is sort of like an etchasketch, right? Is the aquadoodle the same sort of thing only you fill the pen with water?

I see these recommended in all sorts of old threads so I'm thinking maybe we need one!
    DD Spring 2010

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, the magnadoodle is kind of like etch a sketch, but with a pen so you can draw. Aquadoodle has a pen that is filled with water and you can draw with the pen--when it dries, it disappears. Both are good toys, but between the two, I think magnadoodle is better.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I like the travel aquadoodle, though, for traveling, because it's really light and flat. We have both a travel aquadoodle and magnadoodle
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

I prefer magnadoodle because the pen is attached and you don't have to fill it with water.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Quote Originally Posted by rprav8r View Post
    I prefer magnadoodle because the pen is attached and you don't have to fill it with water.
    Thanks everybody! I was thinking the same thing... one less thing to lose!

My DD is ~18 months now and I'm wondering if something like this would entertain her in the car? She may be too young for it yet.
    DD Spring 2010

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Thanks everybody! I was thinking the same thing... one less thing to lose!

My DD is ~18 months now and I'm wondering if something like this would entertain her in the car? She may be too young for it yet.
    We have a very small size and a smallish size that both girls play with and my 20mo loves doodle in the car. I think she's been doodling since she was at least 12mo. We keep the very small size (I think you can find it at the checkout at Target) in the diaper bag.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    We have a very small size and a smallish size that both girls play with and my 20mo loves doodle in the car. I think she's been doodling since she was at least 12mo. We keep the very small size (I think you can find it at the checkout at Target) in the diaper bag.
    Thanks... I'm definitely going to try one of these out for our next long car trip. She always amazes me with things she likes or can do when I still think she's a little baby.
    DD Spring 2010

chozen is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

if you get an aquadoodle don't forget to empty out the water when your done, my dd will open it and drink the water if i forget, sometimes the water will have been sitting in there for a week or more.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chozen View Post
    if you get an aquadoodle don't forget to empty out the water when your done, my dd will open it and drink the water if i forget, sometimes the water will have been sitting in there for a week or more.
    Sorry, but this is exactly what my DD would do!

As for OP's question...we have both and they both gets loads of play. I wouldn't worry about losing the "pen" for the aquadoodle...I think you could just use a paint brush with water or a stamp dampener (which is pretty much an aquadoodle pen!).
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08