Lupe is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default New to Babyproofing

Hi,
    DS is 6 months and is starting to show signs of movement (he actually scoots backwards which I find very funny).
    I am starting to think about babyproofing our graet room, the fact that it is kitchen/dinning room/living room together makes it a little bit more challenging, specially because we are using half of the dining room table as an office now that the office is the nursery. We have already bought outlet covers, some non -toxic foam mast (he already banged his head against the floor paying on his activity mat) but there is a couple of things I am not sure about.
    What are the best cabinet locks for the bottom kitchen cabinets?
    Also, we have a couple of areas with lots of cables, and I can't find a way
    to take them off the floor, Which is the best solution for this? Can I put a gate against the wall to prevent DS from getting to them, anyone with a similar problem? I also have a flimsy bookcase that I cannot find a way to secure to the wall, can I gate out that area?
    any thoughts on what you really need to baby proof will be appreciated!
    I am completely new to this and DH insists I am overreacting (he leaves coins allover the house, and when I pointed to him that they can be a choking hazard he thought I was crazy)
    thanks

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm, afraid, no help at all, but have basically the same question, as DS is just starting to army-crawl.

I wonder, how to deal with cords of plugged in items--lamps especially?
    My baby boy is 3!

momm is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For cords, you can use something like this
    Mommy's Helper Power Strip Safety Cover

Could you move your bookcase to a room in the house where your baby won't get to it?

And yes please keep the coins off the floors

What I did was to block off an area where he can play, rather than go about proofing every single thing in the first floor. Found that to be more cost-effective!

You can use a Superyard like this:
    North States Superyard Classic XT Gate Play Yard

Hope that helps a little bit!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Smile

I struggled with the same thing when my DS started crawling. I made sure the most important things were "safety-ized." In the kitchen, the cabinets with knives, cleaning supplies, and anything breakable. The best locks are the Safety 1st Tot Loks (magnetic ones). They're a pain to install, but even when my son figured out the key made the lock open, he still couldn't actually get them open. He figured out the push down locks super quick. Also a must...electric outlet covers and the plastic door handle locks so he couldn't get into a dangerous room or outside (this depends on your set-up). I also really like the first years safety gate with that you push down with your foot (keeps hands free).

The bookcase sounds like it could potentially be a real danger. I've known two children who haven't pulled a whole bookcase over, but the TV on top. If the room presents that many challenges, it may be best to use one of the baby yards to provide a safe environment instead.

The other two key safety areas - bath and car. In the bath, I didn't trust any of the products and never left him in the water, even for a second. In the car, I used a BabyBring on my wrist to help me remember he was in the back seat. We don't have a pool, but that's another serious one.

Overall, I just tried to differentiate big dangers from little bumps and bruises - somethings kids can easily heal from (even though we never want them to get hurt, even a little) and others they can't. I'm sure you'll find the right balance for your family.