Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bad Cold and 38 Weeks Pregnant

I'm 38 weeks today and came down with a horrible head cold. I can't breathe out of my nose - even though I'm blowing it all day. My throat hurts and I just feel awful...
    Is there anything I can do at this point?
    What happens if I go into labor while sick with a cold... will I have to be worried about holding the baby/spending time with her once she's born?

nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmr1101 View Post
    I'm 38 weeks today and came down with a horrible head cold. I can't breathe out of my nose - even though I'm blowing it all day. My throat hurts and I just feel awful...
    What happens if I go into labor while sick with a cold... will I have to be worried about holding the baby/spending time with her once she's born?
    So sorry! Take some honey for your throat, and just take it as easy as possible. Lots of fluids - normal stuff. You might also try a neti pot if you haven't already - helps clear out your nose naturally.

While I really hope you won't have to endure labor with a cold, I wouldn't worry about passing anything to the baby. He or she will be getting antibodies that you are producing now to fight the cold, and if you breastfeed, more will come through the breastmilk.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

You can also use Ocean nasal spray/drops for your nasal congestion, absolutely safe at this point. It's just salt water.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nrp View Post
    S
    While I really hope you won't have to endure labor with a cold, I wouldn't worry about passing anything to the baby. He or she will be getting antibodies that you are producing now to fight the cold, and if you breastfeed, more will come through the breastmilk.
    When I was pregnant with DS I got colds a lot bc I was doing a lot of business travel. Someone pointed out that I was passing all that immunity to the baby. DS is rarely sick, so maybe that was a benefit? Not sure how much research backs that up , but at least it made me feel a little better at the time.

ETA: My OB has always allowed me to take Tylenol Cold while pregnant.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

FWIW, when I had my first, I got a cold around the same time. Labor & delivery weren't all that bad. Must have been the adrenalin or something because that was the only time I was able to breathe for several weeks. Granted, I didn't BF or even hold my son all that long (I was giving him up for adoption), but I did have contact with him over the two days I was in the hospital and he didn't get sick. I suspect that the antibodies were passed to him.

soon2b4 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

So sorry! I have also been allowed to take Sudafed while pregnant - but I would say to check with your doc/midwife first. I hope it passes quickly!
    Happily married to DH 01/96
    Mom to:
    DD1 01/04
    DD2 09/11

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

[QUOTE=lmr1101;3247057]I'm 38 weeks today and came down with a horrible head cold. I can't breathe out of my nose - even though I'm blowing it all day. My throat hurts and I just feel awful...
    What happens if I go into labor while sick with a cold... will I have to be worried about holding the baby/spending time with her once she's born?[/QUO

I would take an anti-histamine such as Clartin or Zyrtec as well as some Tylenol. My OB said that these were all fine during my pregnancy. You can also use saline nasal spray and run a humidifier in your room at night. Sudafed is probably OK but I would check with your OB because it can increase your heart rate.
    Sorry you aren't feeling well

At that point in pg my midwives and ob ok sudafed for congestion. You might want to call your dr, hope you feel better soon.
    DD1 Jan '10
    DD2 Jan '12

Neti pot. Works wonders when you have a cold.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Just 2 more hours at work and then I get to go home! I totally forgot about the neti pot... I think I'll try that first and then go to the drugs tomorrow if it's still bad.
    My biggest concern was being sick with a baby, so as long as I don't go into labor in the next few days, I'm sure I'll be over this and fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast