Default Nanny Pay for Twins?

I am fortunate to have a woman who I have known for five years. Although she is a massage therapist now, she used to be a nanny for newborn twins (and their two older siblings), worked in a day care center and is amazing with kids (I've seen her interact with them firsthand).

She would like to get back to taking care of kids and has agreed to come work for us 3 days a week after our twins are born and I go back to work. The days would probably be from 7:30 am to 6 pm. I trust her 100% and know she is going to a FANTASTIC job.

I would like to pay her a reasonable rate. Since I am new at this, what would you suggest?

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think you are just going to really work it out with her. It can vary so much. But for reference,
    I pay my nanny $20/hr. She started with me when my twins were about 8 months old. She too is a "professional" nanny and didn't work for me full time.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

$20 sounds right to me. We paid our nanny 4 years ago $15 for 1 child.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

3 years ago we were looking to pay about $15/hr. In a low-COL area.

$20/hour is what is the going rate around here. It would be worth it to have someone you like and trust fully with your children.

Good luck!

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09 and newborn 7/11!

Thanks for all your advice and candid opinions. I am in a bit of sticker-shock, but agree 100%. Good child care is worth the sacrifice. Now we just need to evaluate if it makes sense to hire her, or if the residual income after paying her makes it more logical for me to become a SAHM.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)