Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rolypoly27 View Post
    We did try giving her some mashed avocado about a month ago and she didn't like it
    Try mashing avocado and bananas together.

DD just turned 9 months, only has 2 front teeth, but has been gumming fresh mango, pineapple, watermelon with no issues, and those are not as soft as steamed veggies that I give her. If she takes too big of a bite, she will spit it out. I was really worried about chocking as well, but after the first couple of times gagging, she is doign fine. It is amazing what they can gum.

I just introduced cooked chicken strips, grilled peaches and grilled bell pepper (with skin taken off) and she liked that.
    ~ N

DD 12/10

If I want to give something like green beans or carrots, can I just steam them and give them to her? Carrots would be peeled and sliced into sticks of course.

Oh, and tofu... I can just cut them into cubes and warm them in the microwave? And maybe coat them in cereal dust like BabbyO suggested?
    Last edited by rolypoly27; 09-07-2011 at 01:29 PM.

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyO View Post
    Steamed veggies cut into strips (so she can grip yet still gnaw on one end). Also if things are slippery you can roll them in crushed cereal or crackers to coat so they are less slippery.

Your DD sounds much like my DS at that age. His reaction is what led us to do Baby Led Weaning (BLW). I found the Baby Led Weaning book by Gill Rapley to be hugely helpful in understanding introducing solids this way and age appropriate foods.

The book advises giving babies 6-7 months mushy foods like banana and avocado with part of the peel attached so that it doesn't all turn to mush. (wash peel first). We've had success with that. I also mash up avocado to spread on a Mum-Mum. We do finger sized sticks of cheese, which DS loves, steamed broccoli and carrots. He loves cantaloupe (seems to be the perfect consistency). We also do toast sticks and even whole wheat bagels. The idea is to give them large pieces they can easily fist. DS is not interested in being fed with a spoon but loves feeding himself. I highly recommend the Rapley book.
    My baby boy is 3!

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rolypoly27 View Post
    Can I start with peas and broccoli?
    Sorry for serial posting, but this is important.

Broccoli: yes!
    Peas: DEFINITELY NOT (unless they are pureed). Peas at this age are a choking hazard--think about how their shape is that of the windpipe. One thing that I like about BLW (baby led weaning) is that babies aren't fed foods they can't pick up. Once a baby has developed the pincer grasp and is able to pick up a pea, he/she should be able to chew it and it shouldn't pose a choking hazard. But now, developmentally, without good chewing skills (which correspond, according to BLW, with development of the pincer grasp--not that they are related developments, just that they occur at a similar time), peas are dangerous.

Broccoli, on the other hand, is large enough that if baby gets too big of a piece, he/she will spit it out naturally, which he/she wouldn't be able to do with a pea. Raisins are likewise dangerous.

I'm not sure if I've been clear, so again, I really encourage you to check out Rapley's book. All very well explained. Good luck!
    My baby boy is 3!

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyO View Post
    Steamed veggies cut into strips (so she can grip yet still gnaw on one end). Also if things are slippery you can roll them in crushed cereal or crackers to coat so they are less slippery.
    DD was grabbing the feeding spoon and sticking her fingers in her mouth when I'd give her pureed foods a wk or 2 ago so interchangeably I would give her food the way you mentioned, diced size, or assisting her by holding the spoon to feed herself pureed food. With the fry sized, she would try to feed herself but end up mashing them on the tray since it was still slippery with the cheerio dust. Should I reapply the dust every time it comes off or let her at it until it's all mushed up and give her another one? The other 2 ways work at times but either the chicken is tough. She's eating less now of what I give her with puree so I'm giving her whatever finger food I have that's appropriate since I'm worried about her not getting enough in. She's 7.5 mos. with 2 bottom teeth and can/understands to chew but I don't think she has her pincer grasp down since she uses her fingers/hand to feed like cheerio instead of index & thumb. What's the best way or how do I feed her now?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2