Default please recommend your baby monitor...or tell me what to avoid!

Our old monitor (I think it was a Fisher-Price) is pretty much dead, and with a two-story house, we really need one for DD2. I'd love to do a video monitor but it seems like people's experiences with them are so iffy, especially since we need something that has a decent range (two-story house plus basement, and I'd like to be able to use it outside as far as a few houses down the block and still get reception). Plus video monitors are SO expensive!

Do you have a monitor that you love (audio or video)? Do you have one that you do _not_ like, and why? We need to make a decision soon. Thanks!
    Cheri

Mommy to...
    DD1 6/2/04
    DS 3/9/07
    and finally welcomed DD2 on 8/25/2011!

We have this Philips Avent baby monitor and have been very happy with it. There is absolutely no interference or static since it works on DECT technology. We did not find a need for video, temperature sensors, or other extra features.

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

nak...

on the recommendation of ms.pacman, we bought these cameras:

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8918W...5418390&sr=8-2

i posted instructions on how to set up here:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...5&postcount=11

Thanks! I do hope to go for the webcam route eventually, so those instructions will be great. I like the looks of the Avent one for a plain audio one; that may be our short-term solution.
    Cheri

Mommy to...
    DD1 6/2/04
    DS 3/9/07
    and finally welcomed DD2 on 8/25/2011!

Bootsie is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We have that Phillips Avent DECT basic model too and it has worked really well for us. Anything non-DECT has been subject to a lot of interference and when that happens, the monitors give off this shrieking warning beep that could make you lose your mind.

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have the cheapy Sony 27 channel one, and have had it since DD1 was a baby...so 5+ years. It still works. I never wanted a video one...never heard good things about them. We've packed ours up and used it on vacations, trips, ILs house, etc. I used to mow the lawn with it attached to me - and turned all the way up, I could hear if she woke up over the mower!!

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rolypoly27 View Post
    We have this Philips Avent baby monitor and have been very happy with it. There is absolutely no interference or static since it works on DECT technology. We did not find a need for video, temperature sensors, or other extra features.
    We have this one also, and have been very happy with it.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We had luck with a Sony BabyCall. No interference, no picking up the neighbors or anything and we live in a townhouse, so I was ready to have to try a few.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.