Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicsmom View Post
    In my case, there is no battle because my kids eat everything. Well, DS1 eats everything and DS2 is a bit more selective but eats foods that most kids would not. When they have said they don't like something I ask them to at least try it (and I'll ask them to try it again in other occassions, not just once, because I read that it takes something like 7-8 tries to develop a taste for something). That's where my opinion comes from. I think my opinion is unpopular because most of my friends always ask their children what they want to eat for every meal and snack, and I'm the kind of mother who cooks for the whole family and the kids have to eat what is on the table. We all eat the same thing - no special food for the kids. And I've found this to be very uncommon.

See, and in my experience yours is the more socially supported parenting philosophy, and I'm sure there are many who think I'm somehow doing my child a disservice by not requiring him to try something over and over again. IMO that sort of thing can backfire, and I'd rather use my political capital with him in other ways. Maybe it didn't backfire for you, but as you said, you've never had to battle with your kids about it. It's just not where I'm going to direct my attention. So I'm not sure which of us has the unpopular opinion, just that we have different opinions about this topic and parent accordingly.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    See, and in my experience yours is the more socially supported parenting philosophy, and I'm sure there are many who think I'm somehow doing my child a disservice by not requiring him to try something over and over again. IMO that sort of thing can backfire, and I'd rather use my political capital with him in other ways. Maybe it didn't backfire for you, but as you said, you've never had to battle with your kids about it. It's just not where I'm going to direct my attention. So I'm not sure which of us has the unpopular opinion, just that we have different opinions about this topic and parent accordingly.
    I also think if you force the issue with kids it can create a backlash. I had a friend in college whose mom never let them have any junk food and forced them to eat a very healthy diet. She gained 60lbs freshman year because all she ate was the junk her mom wouldn't let her eat. The food become a power point. I find the same with my DD. If I try to force her to eat something she doesn't like, she fights it harder. If I just ignore it, offer the food again in a few days, she goes for it again (granted we aren't at the terrible 2's or 3's yet).

Also, as someone who suffered a fairly severe eating disorder a few years ago, I think it is so important to create a healthy relationship with food. Feeling forced to eat can set people up for an unhealthy relationship with food, imho.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Okay with tv.
    Redshirted my oldest. (NO REGRETS)
    I let my 7 yo ride his bike all around our neighborhood unsupervised.
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Awesome thread! I often don't post because I feel like so many ppl here are way different than me!
    Love Eminem

I love tv and my kids also watch often! No we don't sit on the couch all day, I have to drag my DD inside when its time for dinner/bath/bed.

My DD has a tv in her room

ITA with the mean kids come from mean parents, I have also witnessed it over and over!

We love plastic toys/batteries. Many of the more expensive wood toys I have bought don't get played with at all!

My DD hates jeans and wears yoga/sweat pants all winter. I also wear yoga pants majority of the time!

I give my DS cough medicine when needed. He NEEDS to sleep!

ETA: Had to add after the PP, I also let my 7yo play outside in our neighborhood unsupervised. I can't be outside ALL the time!
    Last edited by KrystalS; 09-08-2011 at 11:27 AM.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

I feel like an idiot-what is redshirted?
    mommy to the loves of my life ds (Oct. 2008) and dd (Aug. 2011)

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by soontobe View Post
    I feel like an idiot-what is redshirted?
    Not sending a child to Kindergarten on time. Basically, holding them back a year.

The term "red-shirted" comes from college sports where they can designate incoming freshmen as 'red-shirts' and not play them the first year while keeping four additional years of eligibility.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I listened to Howard Stern until DD1 was 16 or 18mos old and really starting to pick up words, and Howard moved to XM. I still miss him!!

ETA: My opinion is that while he's definitely crude, he's VERY intelligent and thought provoking. Talk about opinions - he's certainly got 'em!
    Last edited by Twoboos; 09-08-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have one hugely unpopular opinion that I can only share with my DH because it is so unpopular. These are pretty "mild" unpopular opinions, since many of them are in the main stream.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I agree that Kanye West, and Eminem are geniuses but I absolutely refuse to buy their albums due to their opinions on things, and actions in real life. Chris Brown is on the same scale too.

I still listen to the Dixie Chicks and have no real huge problem with Natalie Maines speaking her mind on George Bush, it's her right and she did at a concert, had she done it at the Oscars then she'd be in the same camp as Kanye West.

As much as I love Toby Keith his song American Life really bothers me because there are so many people who live here who love America that weren't born in the USA and are just as proud to be American citizens and it doesn't mean they don't work as hard as those who were born there.

Agree that mean kids come from mean parents

National chain restaurants IMHO are the last resort for places I will eat; I much prefer hole in the wall places or local chains.

I love my Tupperware

I don't trust my 5 yr. old with a $60 Planet Box lunch set

I will only be able to have a playroom, an indoor laundry room with a closet, and a second bedroom if I inherit a large sum of money and or win the lottery.

I don't mind having a car payment, but it's got to be less than $500 a month

We drive our cars until they die

I don't like Chipotle, or even Chikfila.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

My unpopular opinion is this thread is a little passive aggressive.

But just so I'm not a total spoilsport, I'll also say that I think people are a little over the top with judging parents by the photos they post of their kids in car seats. I've posted pics of my kids in car seats which if anyone (here) saw they would gasp, but then I put down the camera and adjust their straps. Just chill people, it's a snapshot in time.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast