Default For mama's worried about C-sections

I know this is not a cure all, but this article made me worry a little less

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0611113914.htm
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

That's interesting and rather touching to imagine.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

In some hospitals, they will place the baby skin to skin on mothers chest, so that the newborn can smell the mother, and her breasts, which triggers a whole different type of bonding chemical to be omitted. A nurse would have to hold the baby there, and usually one of the mother's arms is left untied to hold her baby on her chest.
    I remember reading an article on facilitating a "natural C-section". Lots of great ideas.

Here's one video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RIcaK98Yg
    Last edited by daisymommy; 09-10-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Mom could hold the baby themselves, there is no reason for arms to be tied and I am flat out refusing to allow that. They don't want your hands in the sterile field and instead of treating you like an adult and explaining what not to do they restrain you. Screw that.
    If you want these things approach your provider and tell them. Change happens when consumers insist on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edensmum View Post
    Mom could hold the baby themselves, there is no reason for arms to be tied and I am flat out refusing to allow that. They don't want your hands in the sterile field and instead of treating you like an adult and explaining what not to do they restrain you. Screw that.
    If you want these things approach your provider and tell them. Change happens when consumers insist on it.
    The anesthesiologist who attended DD's birth was appalled when I asked him if he was going to strap my arms down. He said he'd never done so and thought it was barbaric.

They didn't place DD on my chest immediately, but as soon as she was out and wrapped up they did. This is a much bigger concern to me with my upcoming delivery, though, since I will have general anesthesia and will be under for at least an hour or more after the delivery while they do the hysterectomy. DH won't be allowed in the OR, but I'm going to discuss this article with my doc at my next appointment.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Edensmum View Post
    I approached my provider about it last time and was told I could do it their way or I could have DD at another hospital which may or may not be covered by my insurance (military). I was terrified of being restrained but it wasn't that bad. I had to have a mandatory c-section due to other health issues and I was willing to let them do what they needed to do.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    I approached my provider about it last time and was told I could do it their way or I could have DD at another hospital which may or may not be covered by my insurance (military). I was terrified of being restrained but it wasn't that bad. I had to have a mandatory c-section due to other health issues and I was willing to let them do what they needed to do.
    My, my. I sure hope they are more accomodating of you this time! I would have been pretty offended at that atitude.
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by ShanaMama View Post
    My, my. I sure hope they are more accomodating of you this time! I would have been pretty offended at that atitude.
    A military hospital - accomodating? HaHaHa! Sorry, I had a very bad experience at a military hospital when my water 1st broke with DD. Thankfully we complained & were moved to a different hospital that was actually capable of caring for me & my yet unborn baby. Unfortunately I now have a lack of trust in the military medical system. I'm lobbying to be able to be seen by a civilian.

That said, amldaley, I know you don't always have a choice. I do hope that your provider is a little more accepting of your concerns this time around...
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't know if this will fly with many doctors, but I think this a great idea for those who have to have a c-section, but want a more intimate and personal experience. Even though I had a homebirth, I had this article printed and packed with my hospital birth plan in case of a transfer.

Delivered safely by caesarean with his mother's hands
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...971419538.html
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

re: arm restraints - i'm a surgeon and I use them for my cases, but usually when the patient gets IV sedation. Once the drugs kick in, they don't always have the capacity to control moving their arms around. Also, the positioning of the arms out to the sides is not the most comfortable, and sometimes they just start to slip off.

I don't use them for nonsedated procedures, but I can tell you it is quite a nuisance and I constantly have patients forgetting and reaching across the sterile field to scratch their nose, etc.

I don't see why a nonsedated mom couldn't be unstrapped for that part, though.