Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default *Update* Help! I'm losing confidence! (calling distance runners)

I just had to update since I had another 6 mile run today. I only needed to do 4, but I was so bummed after last week's 6 I wanted to try again.

So...I made sure I ate well yesterday and stayed hydrated. I ended up only getting 3.5 hours of sleep last night, so that kind of sucked, but didn't seem to bother me. I drank a G-series pre-workout drink this morning. The weather was cooler and we went at our normal early time. We worked hard to pace ourselves and started off slower. I actually ran for 34 minutes today before I needed a short walking break! AND we cut 9 1/2 minutes off last week's time!!!!!!! We did 6 in 66

So THANK YOU ladies for all the advice. I feel like I'll be able to do the 10 after a few more weeks of training!

****My 10 mile run is officially 4 weeks away. I am freaking out! I had a great five mile run last weekend and a good four miles on Thursday. Today SUCKED! I have a friend who isn't doing the race, but has been so kind to run the long runs with me on the weekend. Today we went out a couple hours later than usual and it definitely got hot along the way. There wasn't much shade at all, but still- It really sucked!

Our first 2 miles were 10 minute miles, then we had 2 12's and then finished up with 2 14's. Not happy at all with the 14's (a lot of walking)! I came home so bummed and really not sure if I can do the 10 miles.

So...if you have distance running experience, help me out! I have a friend who once told me running is the most humbling exercise she's done. One day she'll have an incredible run and the next time she goes out she can barely get through it. I'm trying to remember that, but I'm also trying to figure out ways to improve over the next four weeks. Is there anything I should do before a run- water? food? those Gatorade series things? We stopped for a water break after 4 today, but we don't take it with us. What about during the run? Should I drink Gatorade or stick with water? What about keeping a good pace. Today I tried to slow my run down to a jog so I was still in a running mode, not walking, but that got hard after a while, too. It just seems like the more I walk, the harder it is to start running again.

My goal for the race (since it's my first) is just to finish is. "Cover the distance" I keep saying. I'm not worried so much about time, but I want to run as much of it as I can. If anyone has some tips for me I'd greatly appreciate it!

TIA!
    Last edited by LarsMal; 09-17-2011 at 08:41 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My friend is training for a half marathon and is following some program for the training. She does the run three, walk one method. She says she doesn't pay attention to pace and time and she almost always feels good.

I had a run today that i thought was ok till I saw my pace. Pitiful! First run in ages though...it can only get better!

It sounds like you are doing really well!!! I'm trying to decide if distance running is my thing and I'm thinking not.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

It sounds like you are doing really well!!! I'm trying to decide if distance running is my thing and I'm thinking not.
    Yeah, me too! My friend that I'm running with was long distance swimmer. She has great endurance- I do not! I was a dancer. I'm used to doing things in little spurts and then having time to recover. I wanted a challenge, I got a challenge, I'll be proud when I'm done...but I don't think I'm a runner- at least not today!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No advice, b/c running 5Ks are my limit so far. Def far from being long distance, but . I have had good and bad days too. I do think that the adrenaline rush you get the day of the race really helps though and if you have to walk, no shame in that.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMal View Post
    Yeah, me too! My friend that I'm running with was long distance swimmer. She has great endurance- I do not! I was a dancer. I'm used to doing things in little spurts and then having time to recover. I wanted a challenge, I got a challenge, I'll be proud when I'm done...but I don't think I'm a runner- at least not today!
    I've been signing up for challenges lately and learning more about my abilities and interests. My aunt runs ultra marathons. Her 100 mile runs take 27 hours!!! I think 10ks would be my ideal. I too danced- maybe that's it? 4-5 minutes then rest!

Beth

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm not an expert. I'm slow and new to running but I did run (jog?) my first half marathon this summer.
    Things that work for me:
    I HAVE to eat before a run. For me, that means a bagel thin with peanut butter. I try to finish it up at least 30 min before heading out.
    I also drink at least 8 ounces of water before heading out. Probably should be more, but when it is an early morning, that's as much as I can stomach.
    I bring water for long runs. For my 10-12 mile runs, I'd bring 40 ounces of water with me and drink all of it. Those runs end up being 12-13 min miles so we are out there for a while.
    I was never a runner at all until I started dabbling with 5k runs 2 years ago. I'm definitely not a natural and I'm still quite slow. For my half marathon, we ended up running a mile, walking 1 minute then running a mile. It works for me. It helps me to have some structure to the walking breaks so that I don't let myself walk for too long.
    And remember there are good days and bad days. Try not to let the bad days get you down. It just happens.
    Last edited by cono0507; 09-11-2011 at 02:38 PM.

-Start off slow. For a 10 mile race, I typically aim to do the first mile 30-60 sec slower than my desired race pace. Especially on race day, adrenaline will get the best of you and you'll burn way too much energy in the early miles if you don't make an effort to hold yourself back.

-Every runner has good days and bad days. It's part of the game. Especially if you were running in the heat, that can REALLY take it out of you if you're not used to it.

-Nutrition and hydration - you need to fuel your body in the days leading up to the run, and during the run. It might take some experimenting to find what works for you. Try keeping a journal of what you eat/drink during the week and how your runs feel. I try to really, really hydrate and up my sodium intake starting 2 days prior to race day. I also eat before I run, I know some people can't, but I must have fuel in the tank. During long runs, I drink water, take electrolyte pills, and eat gels. Again, it might take some experimenting to find what works for you. Don't try it for the first time on race day.

-Scheduled walk breaks. Run 9 min/walk 1. This way you know you have a walk break coming up. And TAKE your walk breaks, even if you are feeling great. You will not be feeling as great at mile 10, and will be glad you didn't push too hard in the early miles.

-I know it's not long before your race, but you might want to try a little speedwork - nothing big, maybe just some hill repeats or something like that. I like the variety in my long runs, and feel that it helps prepare my body for pushing hard when I'm tired.

-Rest and recovery - it's important to recover after races/long runs. Make sure to get some calories within 20 min after stopping running. Stretch, take an ice bath, take a nap, eat a lot - whatever you can squeeze in with kids underfoot. It's also important to rest the night before a race/long run. Stay off your feet, hydrate, eat well.

-Congratulate yourself! Just finishing a 10 mile race is a big deal! Way to go!
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Quote Originally Posted by rprav8r View Post
    - I also eat before I run, I know some people can't, but I must have fuel in the tank. During long runs, I drink water, take electrolyte pills, and eat gels. Again, it might take some experimenting to find what works for you. Don't try it for the first time on race day.
    I went on a day long strenuous hike and, though I knew it was a mistake, I tried one of those gels at mile 11 (out of 35). It was almost instant stomach trouble!! At one point I didn't know what I was going to do! The next bathroom wasn't for 4 miles, with tough terrain during that so not speedy. I raced to every bathroom pit stop and at one had to get back into line almost immediately. Definitely experiment ahead of time!! I didn't know if I'd be able to finish!

Beth

LexyLou is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I haven't had a chance to read the other replies so I apologize if I'm repeating.

#1- Training runs are just that, TRAINING runs. We don't just do them to get our miles in we do them to learn what works and doesn't work. Did you properly hydrate the night before? Did you bring any electrolytes and gu/blocks/beans with you?

Not properly supplementing makes a huge difference!

#2-Some days our bodies just have a rough time doing. Make sure you adequetly warm up. I need a good .5-.75 of a really slow pace (for me that's about 10-10:30) and some dynamic stretching or my legs feel like lead.

#3-Maybe start off slower. You might be going to fast in the first 2 miles. Remember, you might be able to maintain a 10 minute mile for a 3-4 mile run but 10 miles is very different. On long runs I always try to make the first 2-4 miles at least 1 minute slower than my comfortable pace. So maybe try to keep the first mile a 13 min mile, second mile 12 min mile, 3-5 11 min miles and then try to keep the last 5 around 10 min.
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

Thanks for all the tips! I have a lot to try over the next four weeks! I tried to hydrate last night, but probably not enough this morning before the run. I also should have eaten a little more before we left since we went later.

I have an easy(ish) week this week so I'll play around with the walking/running and see what works best. I'm supposed to do a 4 next Sunday then a 7 and 8, then the race the following week. I'm wondering if I should do 7, 8, and 9, though to make sure I can get to 10 on race day. Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast