Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I too danced- maybe that's it? 4-5 minutes then rest!

Beth
    This is exactly what I told my friend today! I think that's why I like spin so much- 4-5 minutes of intense work with a minute or two to catch your breath.

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You got a lot of really great advice, but one tip that really helps me on my long runs (9-10 miles, for me) is having something to listen to, to help with boredom. I know it's a bit controversial for safety reasons, but I run in a very safe, well populated area, so I'm not too worried. No way I could run for more than 45 minutes in just the company of my own thoughts! Music and podcasts really help me keep my mind occupied and my feet moving. Still, on my long runs, I spend my first two miles telling myself to just turn around and go home back to bed, just this one week. . I agree with PP, in running, there are some good days and some tough days. Just give yourself a pat on the back for being out there!! Good luck!

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I followed this program for my first 1/2 marathon. You will finish and don't worry if you have to walk a little. The last 3 miles of my 1/2 I ran 4 mins and walked a min. I finished in 2 hours 15 mins.
    You can do it!

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kintro.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ray7694 View Post
    I followed this program for my first 1/2 marathon. You will finish and don't worry if you have to walk a little. The last 3 miles of my 1/2 I ran 4 mins and walked a min. I finished in 2 hours 15 mins.
    You can do it!

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kintro.htm
    That's the program I'm following! (The 15k novice one.) I like it because it fits in nicely with my regular workout schedule, but I flipped a couple days around.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wow, that is so awesome you're doing a 10 miler! Well, I've only ever run a half marathon once, ages ago. But if all you're wanting is to cover the distance, don't pay attention to your times. Just pace yourself, put one foot in front of the other.

I've run 5Ks where I have kids passing me in the beginning, then I pass them near the end because they're pooped out. So, pace yourself
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

We tried slowing down last night and it was better. It was hard to go slow, though! I felt like I was practically walking, but we were still in the 10-10.5 range. We ended up doing 3 in 32 so I guess we didn't really slow down much, but just the few added seconds seemed to help. Of course, it was only 3- not 6- so it was easier- period!

I have another 3 tomorrow and then a 6 on Saturday or Sunday morning. I am going to take all the good advice here and hope that my 6 this weekend is better than last weekend! I also got one of those G-Series pre-workout drinks. We'll see if that does anything!

Thanks again for all the tips. I'm really thinking about it now as I run!

Shameless bump!

LexyLou is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yeah!!! Good job! Make sure you have enough electolytes and proper fuel! You rock!
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Great run!
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yay! Happy to hear that you were able to figure out something that would work for you!
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2