WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Have you seen a great NIV bible and bible cover for a 5 yo girl?

DD started Bible Study Fellowship this week. She's in the children's program/ Level 1. All her bibles are story bibles, but I'd like to get her something she can use for her actual lessons at home and in class. Pink is preferred, of course (she's 5) but we're open to others if they they have something like easier-to-read font or whatever would be great for a beginning reader.

Shockingly, she's almost memorized her verse for the week: Philippians 4:8 Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Oh, we have a Family Christian Store, but it's a 25 min. haul. The one close to us closed. B&N is close and Amazon is fine too. Thanks!

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Here's one: http://www.enewcreation.com/product.asp?sku=0310715474

We don't have that one yet, but I'm considering getting that one or the next level one for her soon. I had originally bought her a Veggie Tales one, but she's now (at 7) to "old" for that one and won't take it to church. She's using one of mine. The bible cover I got for her isn't listed (pink, with a heart zippered pocket on front for her offering, zips up, and has a handle), but if you search bible cover or carrier, it will pull some covers up.

Thanks for your reply! That's the same one I bought for my nephews in the 90's! In reading the reviews of the NIrV, it says that it is hard for kids if they've learned verses a certain way b/c it slightly rewords the text to make it easier for early readers to understand. Because she's learning verses in Sunday School and BSF out of the NIV, I ended up ordering this one http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Bibl...6175681&sr=8-1 and the pink cover that goes with it - is this the one you were describing? http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Bibl...6175740&sr=8-4

And [gasp] I paid $3.99/item to have them both delivered tomorrow on Amazon. We're going to a nursing home this morning with playgroup, then we have a full weekend of runs and concerts and babysitting others' kids. I figured it will be nice to for her to have it sooner than sometime next week. Thanks again!

I got the NIV Adventure Bible for DD too. She had to have an NIV version for school. Hers was a green leather (?) cover with a bright pink hibiscus flower. She seemed pleased.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Thanks for your reply! That's the same one I bought for my nephews in the 90's! In reading the reviews of the NIrV, it says that it is hard for kids if they've learned verses a certain way b/c it slightly rewords the text to make it easier for early readers to understand. Because she's learning verses in Sunday School and BSF out of the NIV, I ended up ordering this one http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Bibl...6175681&sr=8-1 and the pink cover that goes with it - is this the one you were describing? http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Bibl...6175740&sr=8-4

And [gasp] I paid $3.99/item to have them both delivered tomorrow on Amazon. We're going to a nursing home this morning with playgroup, then we have a full weekend of runs and concerts and babysitting others' kids. I figured it will be nice to for her to have it sooner than sometime next week. Thanks again!

that's the Bible my kids have and they LOVE it!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Thanks Christina and Margaret for letting me know. Looking forward to the UPS truck in the morning!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Just wondering if any of you can compare the Adventure Bible to the Faithgirlz one?? I'm looking for a "real" bible for DD#1 (age 7.5).

I think DD#2 will get the Adventure bible.

Sorry for the hijack!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post

Sorry for the hijack!
    Not a highjack, as the 5 yo girl will quickly grow to be a 7yo girl who may need something "older." I want to know which ones is good for the next stage!

Older kids these days use a laptop and bible concordance software such as PC Study Bible .

Just wanted to report back that the NIV Adventure Bible is the 2010 translation, which is slightly different than the 1984 NIV translation. DD is finding her memory verses are different. Where the old one says brothers this one says brothers and sisters.