Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Laundry baskets

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We technically have 5.

One for each of us: DH in his closet, me in my closet, DDs in each of their rooms. Everything goes down the laundry chute (LOVE it!!) then gets sorted into a three-section hamper: white/hot, medium and dark. Plus a separate pile for any delicate stuff.

Works so far. I am going to have to revisit the laundry set up when we move, laundry is on the 2nd floor and our current laundry is on the 1st (and DH and I are going to be sharing a closet again). I am used to just wandering in and throwing in a load whenever. I think I am going to have to be more purposeful b/c once I am downstairs I will certainly forget about any laundry going upstairs.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don't sort anything other than clothes from sheets and towels. My clothes seem fine. All the extra work of sorting might not be worth it! I really wonder if all the sorters just stopped sorting if they would really notice a difference. Maybe I am missing something but my stuff doesn't appear any worse off.

Anyway, we have a laundry chute. Best thing **ever** since our laundry is in the basement. It all goes down and I pull out the sheets and towels, wash the clothes as it comes down. The kids usually put their stuff down each night. Dh and I fill a laundry basket and dump it down the chute when it gets full.

Beth

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I don't sort anything other than clothes from sheets and towels. My clothes seem fine. All the extra work of sorting might not be worth it! I really wonder if all the sorters just stopped sorting if they would really notice a difference. Maybe I am missing something but my stuff doesn't appear any worse off.

Anyway, we have a laundry chute. Best thing **ever** since our laundry is in the basement. It all goes down and I pull out the sheets and towels, wash the clothes as it comes down. The kids usually put their stuff down each night. Dh and I fill a laundry basket and dump it down the chute when it gets full.

Beth
    We have a one story (otherwise I would LOVE a chute!!).

I haven't sorted clothes in 15 years of doing laundry. And pretty much all my clothes gets washed in warm water, sometimes cold. Now if it's a nicer shirt/blouse, or something I know is delicate, I wash it separately.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Its not that I think the clothes are cleaner, for being sorted, but it a psychological thing. I don't like to think of Dh's socks and underwear going through with my shirt that a baby is resting his head on.

Same goes for when my kids went through a phase of chewing/sucking on shirt sleeves. I just couln't handle the thought of that sleeve passing through water that washed socks and underwear and then into Ds's mouth. Shudder.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    hampers with open tops placed where people undress work best here

I only use baskets to transport clean laundry to other parts of the house.

When I was growing up, we each had our own basket with clean, folded clothes that was our responsibility to put away each week after laundry was done.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2