Default Another costume ? - Man with the Yellow Hat?

My DDs want to be Curious George and the Man with the Yellow Hat for Halloween. Just saw in another thread that ON has monkey costumes so I'll have to run there for that! now wondering about the Man costume. I had done a search and haven't seen any premade. Anyone know where I can get a yellow hat from? Or yellow clothes? Has anyone ever made a hat? The easier the better (not very crafty here!) TIA
    Last edited by AbbysMom; 09-14-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I did this a few years ago. I'll post a pic.

I got the monkey costume from Old Navy. I found the Yellow Hat online and ordered that. I had to put some elastic in it to make it smaller for DS. I couldn't find a yellow shirt, so I bought a white button down and dyed it. I also dyed a white T-shirt and cut a tie out of that and put brown polka dots on it. I found a pair of khaki pants and he wore brown shoes. For the boots I took brown felt and used velcro to put it around his legs. It was my favorite costume to date!

Here it is!
    Last edited by LarsMal; 09-14-2011 at 11:35 AM.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have the Yellow Hat from a consignment sale (score!!!) and a george costume that's tiny....gotta see if things will fit everyone. Cute pic, PP.

[QUOTE=LarsMal;3264328]I did this a few years ago. I'll post a pic.

I got the monkey costume from Old Navy. I found the Yellow Hat online and ordered that. I had to put some elastic in it to make it smaller for DS. I couldn't find a yellow shirt, so I bought a white button down and dyed it. I also dyed a white T-shirt and cut a tie out of that and put brown polka dots on it. I found a pair of khaki pants and he wore brown shoes. For the boots I took brown felt and used velcro to put it around his legs. It was my favorite costume to date!

Oh my goodness how cute! Thanks for the info. I've never dyed anything so was hoping to get around that somehow. I'll check online for the hat though!
    Last edited by AbbysMom; 09-14-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Have fun! I was so hoping DD#1 would be "the man with the yellow hat" this year...we're doing a butterfly and a monkey instead .
    A, mommytoC (DD#1, born 11/05)...and to K (DD#2, born 4/09)!

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids had a character day at school that was short notice so I got DS1 yellow shorts and shirt from Target, brown knee socks, made a tie out of felt that I pinned on and got a sombrero from a party store, cut part of the brim off and covered it with yellow felt. It was adorable...he got tons of compliments on it at school. The only thing I would do differently is cover the entire underneath of the brim with the yellow felt but I didn't have time to go back and redo it. (It looked cuter looking from the top!) Here's a few pictues...he was in a goofy cheese face mode but you get the idea.

[QUOTE=ohiomom1121;3264468]My kids had a character day at school that was short notice so I got DS1 yellow shorts and shirt from Target, brown knee socks, made a tie out of felt that I pinned on and got a sombrero from a party store, cut part of the brim off and covered it with yellow felt. It was adorable...he got tons of compliments on it at school. The only thing I would do differently is cover the entire underneath of the brim with the yellow felt but I didn't have time to go back and redo it. (It looked cuter looking from the top!) Here's a few pictues...he was in a goofy cheese face mode but you get the idea.

Awesome!!!! I knew I came to the right pace to ask my question with you creative mamas!
    Last edited by AbbysMom; 09-14-2011 at 01:43 PM.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We did it too!

For the clothes, I just bought some yellow clothes dye from JoAnn's and dyed a white shirt and some light tan cords. We made the tie out of felt ( by the yard, not the squares) from JoAnn's too.

For the hat, we took one of DD's old easter hats w/ a brim, glued a bucket on top of it, and wrapped it in felt. Fabric glue is your friend here Not too much glue though, or it gets heavy!

ManAndGeorge by Ahismah, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    We did it too!

For the clothes, I just bought some yellow clothes dye from JoAnn's and dyed a white shirt and some light tan cords. We made the tie out of felt ( by the yard, not the squares) from JoAnn's too.

For the hat, we took one of DD's old easter hats w/ a brim, glued a bucket on top of it, and wrapped it in felt. Fabric glue is your friend here Not too much glue though, or it gets heavy!
    So cute! Thanks for the tips. Seems much more doable now

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh! Here's a yellow shirt, if you don't want to dye: http://www.landsend.com/pp/LongSleev...e&origin=index

Not sure about pants though, that's a tough one.

Check out the dyes at Michael's or JoAnn's. They really have come a long way and are pretty easy. I'd skip Rit, but the other ones are quite colorfast.