Default 11hr layover at Heathrow Airport--WWYD???

Need advice re: handling our 10:30am-11:30pm (11hr long) layover @ Heathrow on the way to Israel. We might be somewhat tired after a long flight, who knows...hopefully our then 11 month old DS will be somewhat rested from the night spent on the plane. I've never been to London before (oddly), so need advice on whether we should stick around the airport and try to find a lounge (a paid lounge that's comfortable??) OR if we should catch a train and go sightseeing in London? If anyone has done that before and been in a similar layover situation @ Heathrow, your recommendations would be much appreciated. I guess I am just trying to figure out what most people would do in this situation with an 11 month old...stay put at the airport or go check out London...We will have our umbrella stroller with us and the Ergo.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If I'm doing the math right, isn't that actually a 13-hour layover? That's definitely enough time to get out of the airport, although I kind of loathe hanging around airports if I don't have to and would way rather be checking out a new place.

Honestly, though, for me it would probably depend on whether I was allowed to recheck my luggage at the airport so I wasn't hauling it around with me. If you can, then yeah, I'd say go for it!

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Take the train to Paddington station, at the very least! Then Trafalgar Square? Really it depends on how tired you (and DC) are. But I should think there would be time. The train takes, IIRC, 20-30 min, if you take the express.
    My baby boy is 3!

thanks everyone!!! I guess we will play it by ear and see how tired we are...any recommendations for great places to eat??