mom2one is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Big Bear - anyone ever been?

Looking for ideas of places to stay near or in Big Bear area. Please send me all your helpful tips and ideas.

Thanks. Susan

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We've gone to Big Bear hundreds of times, both with and without our kids. I have a few questions though - when do you plan to go? How old are your kids? How long do you plan to stay?

We have a friend who lets us use her cabin, so I haven't rented a place there in many years. I know people who have had good luck with the motels up there, but i would rent a cabin because I like having a full kitchen, our own space and schedules, etc. You can check http://www.bigbearvacations.com/.

In the summer/ warmer times, its fun to rent a pontoon boat and go out on the lake for a few hours. I know some people like to fish but I never have. We like to go for hikes from the Discovery Center that is on the north side of the lake in Fawnskin. They have trail maps and there are hikes that are rugged or mild, even some that are on paved trails that go alongside the lake. We took the kids on that one (Boo in the jogger stroller) last time we went. When there is snow, the kids have fun sledding, building snowmen, digging/ throwing snow, etc. Last winter we didn't even pay to sled somewhere - we just used the cabin driveway (slopes into the front yard away from the street) and backyard to play. There is a fun snow play place that does sledding (or waterslides in warm weather) and the concrete slide there is REALLY fun. http://www.alpineslidebigbear.com/ DH and I like to ski, but haven't been in 8 years since having kids. If you do ski though, I recommend Snow Summit because Bear Mountain is mostly a "trick" park for snowboarders. Oh, my family LOVES the Moonridge Zoo there and we go visit every time we are there, even when it's snowing. It is a great zoo that houses injured/ orphaned mountain animals that they rehab, and they keep them if they cannot be released into the wild.

I'd be happy to help you more if you have any questions. I love our Big Bear trips!!

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)