Default Baby-friendly things to do in La Jolla (San Diego, CA)

We're going to be staying in La Jolla for our anniversary in October. We've been to the area before (all we did was eat cheap Mexican food), but this will be our first time going post-baby (will be 8 months old by then).

We're staying near La Jolla Shores, so we're planning on going to the beach and the hotel pool area, but nothing else planned as of yet. Any recommendations for things to do/eat?

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I got some ideas from trip advisor and also this site when we were planning a trip down to San Diego

http://www.localwally.com/

If you can do an earlier breakfast, I highly recommend The Cottage: http://www.cottagelajolla.com/
    They have a nice outdoor patio and the food's really good, but it does get really busy on the weekends and often has a long wait if you don't get there early.

One of our favorite sandwich spots is Board N Brew, which is not too far north of La Jolla:
    http://boardnbrewdelmar.com/
    You can grab stuff for lunch and eat at Powerhouse Park in Del Mar, gorgeous views and plenty of grass for relaxing and catching some sun.

Definitely head down to the Children's Pool to see the sea lions, and there's a little park/playground area at La Jolla Shores that would be fun (although, since your kiddo is so young they may not get much out of it this time around)

Have a fantastic anniversary!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think we will most definitely do breakfast at The Cottage (I checked out the website and it's perfect!). We were looking for a good sandwich place for picnic at the beach or park, so Board N Brew sounds excellent as well. And I did hear about the sea lions at Children's Pool... must add that to the itinerary. I wish we could do more kiddie activities, but I think we'll have to make another trip when the little one is a bit older.

Quote Originally Posted by pinay View Post
    If you can do an earlier breakfast, I highly recommend The Cottage: http://www.cottagelajolla.com/
    They have a nice outdoor patio and the food's really good, but it does get really busy on the weekends and often has a long wait if you don't get there early.

One of our favorite sandwich spots is Board N Brew, which is not too far north of La Jolla:
    http://boardnbrewdelmar.com/
    You can grab stuff for lunch and eat at Powerhouse Park in Del Mar, gorgeous views and plenty of grass for relaxing and catching some sun.

Definitely head down to the Children's Pool to see the sea lions, and there's a little park/playground area at La Jolla Shores that would be fun (although, since your kiddo is so young they may not get much out of it this time around)

Have a fantastic anniversary!

Joan? Is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by hoodlims View Post
    Joan? Is that you?
    Yup, you figured me out I didn't know anyone else from the local boards I frequented was over here too! I haven't "seen" you around in a long time- no idea you had kid(s)!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

A friend of mine used to work at The Cottage in college. We couldn't afford to eat out much in college but every so often a breakfast at The Cottage was great.

My favorite restaurant in the area is actually in Del Mar, about a 10 minute drive. It's called Sbicca. We haven't taken DDs there, but if you go they have a fair amount of outside space, including an outside roof top deck.

We also like Karl Strauss in La Jolla. We've been there a few times with DD1 and the wait staff is very friendly and we ordered a pizza, and mac n cheese off the adult menu and split once, and then another time I think we ordered DD1 chicken strips from the kids menu, which is not your general pre made kids menu faire.

Both times we have gone we have gone to the USS Midway and it's been fun and in fact we still haven't seen everything. DD1 loved looking at the planes and stuff.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

The Cottage is delicious, but the wait is nearly an hour! Just be prepared.