Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default How long do you plan to rear face?

DH was asking me this weekend. What is your number?

DS is only about 30 pounds and 2 years 9 months old, so he could rear face for quite some time, but I don't really know when I will be ok turning him around.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Our RFing goal was age 3 because of spinal development. Once DS passed 3 and still fit RFing we saw no reason to turn him until he was approaching the limits of the seat, and he made it RFing to age 4. Most people are surprised to hear that since DS is 95% for height and 90% for weight. We only have one child, however, and had no seat-juggling or space issues to contend with. We also have the super long RFing RN XTSL seat, and it seemed a shame not to use it up to the limits.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Good question, I don't have a number. Maybe 3yo, unless he outgrows RF sooner. My DS is 27 mos and only 24 lbs, maybe 34-35 inches in a blvd. It's getting harder to fit him into the seat, but with my new car and new ba y I'll have a RF Blbd 70 that either could use. So I think it will be easier to have 2 RF kids at that point.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't know, but we will be rear facing the new baby a lot longer than we did with DS. DS only rear faced until he was 20 months because that was before the new recommendations came out and I was just ignorant of the extent of the safety issues at the time. I think when new baby hits age 2 we'll reassess, but probably continue rear facing for longer than that.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Wow, 4! Amazing!

For me, the magic number seems to keep moving. When my son was turning 1, I was hoping for 2. I really had no concept of how big 2 yos were. Now that's he's about to turn 2 (and I see how much his growth has slowed down over the past year) I am hoping for 3.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Don't know yet for DD2. She's only 23lb at 21mos so she's such a peanut she could probably RF until she's 10yr. DD1 we turned FF at 2.5yo when DD2 arrived because it was incredibly difficult to get her in a RF carseat of a 2dr coupe with the infant bucket in the other seat.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

dd1 - 4 yrs, when she reached the rear facing, weight limit on the britax
    dd2 - 3 yrs, when motion sickness became a big issue.

I'd like to make it to at least age four just because that's what's recommended from studies etc. But I think DS will outgrow his current seat around 3.5 and I have to admit I'm not wild about buying another convertible just for those extra six months, especially since choice would be pretty limited.

Hearing about everyones' peanuts, makes me think my DD is even bigger than I thought! She is 17 mo and weighs over 27lbs (she was 27lbs at her 15 month check up). I believe our seats (an old school Blvd and an MA70) RF to 35lbs and 40lbs respectively. I am hoping that her weight gain will start slowing down and she will make it to at least 2 in both seats. My plan has always been to RF her until she outgrew the seats by height or weight.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ours just turned 3 but I am not planning on turning them yet since they still have plenty of room in their Radian 65s in our Odyssey. However, when the van is in the shop to take care of the recalls and we have to transport them in the Forester for a few days, I plan on just putting them FF in their Safety 1st Avenues so that 1) I don't eat the dash and 2) those seats are a bit of a pain to install RF and I have no idea where all my pool noodles went.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast