Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Anyone have Braxton Hicks that felt like bad lower back menstrual cramps?

I am 35 weeks, baby #4, and no history of PTL. I have been getting horrible lower back cramping, that feels like awful menstrual cramps. It tends to be worse at night and if I am on my feet doing anything. It is often coupled with nice traditional contractions. The contractions themselves usually go away if I can get off my feet and semi-reclined back. The back pain continues. No weird discharge or anything else that would make my think I was going into labor.

For the record, I am fairly certain this baby is posterior. At my last NST, the nurse made the comment after having a hard time keeping the baby on the monitor. I have an ultrasound scheduled for my next appointment which should shed some light.

Is this normal? I don't remember the back cramping with my other kiddos.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

WHen are you due? Usually crampy is real contractions, BH are tightening but not cramping, though not comfy. The back pain likely means the baby is posterior. Try checking out the spinning babies site to get baby in a better position. Back labor sucks.

Hopefully for some reassurance, my OB said that anterior-posterior can change very quickly, even right before or during labor. So even if your u/s shows that the baby is posterior, it certainly is not inevitable that s/he will stay that way.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I had those crampy, lower back pains just before losing my mucus plug and having my water break at 34 weeks with Ds1.

I thought it was just regular back pain due to pregnancy because I had *no* kind of contractions at all, just the back pain. 24 hours later, Ds1 arrived.

I also had these with Ds2 (also PPROM at 35 weeks) but this time with contractions. However, I had a lot of other back pain throughout that pregnancy.

I don't mean to be alarmist, but I would NOT ignore them!

ETA: I didn't have PTL with either kiddo, just the PPROM. It was a complete and total surprise the first time.
    Last edited by Simon; 09-24-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: ETA: I didn't have PTL with either kiddo, just the PPROM. It was a copmlete and total surprise the first time.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That sounds like real contractions to me, I'd definitely call the doctor right away to get it check out.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Get off your feet! (Easy to say to a woman with 3 kids, right?!) Seriously, this sounds like labor to me. Talk to your doc and get as much rest as you can.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

chays is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I agree...sounds like labor. Drink a lot of water and stay off your feet! I'd call the doc too but on a Sat night they are likely to send you to the hospital. Good Luck!
    chays

DS1 2003
    DD 2006
    DS2 2009

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had a lot of crampy pain well before going into labor. It can be early labor, or it can stop. I would rest and if it stopped, I was not concerned. But i was full term.

I also avoided being in a semi reclined position to prevent a posterior baby. Lean more forwad, sit on a balance ball, etc. Spinning babies does have good tips, and all those techniques will also take the pressure off your back.

DD was posterior halfway through my labor (3-4 cm). I worked with my doula and by the time I got to the hospital (6-7cm) she was facing sideways and the rest of my labor went very quickly. It is possible for them to turn, but it may take some conscious effort and positioning.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Well, I'm still pregnant. Lol! The lower back cramps come and go, and I have been having them for almost a week now. That's mostly why I am not overly concerned. My husband is also a retired paramedic, and did catch our youngest after the OB didn't get there in time, so I am probably covered until I can get to the hospital if something weird happens. I am pretty confident that this is all just end of pregnancy aches and pains, especially if the little bean is posterior. I have been having regular BH's since around 12 weeks or so.

My DH and oldest are at a scout camp-out tonight, and I wasn't worried enough to have them miss it. My OB (and hospital) are also an hour away, so if I did go in, it would be to a different (local) hospital. I guess I'm a little meh on the whole idea. I will continue to keep an eye on the situation, and of course I will go in if anything changes.

Thanks ladies!
    Kelli

Quote Originally Posted by Edensmum View Post
    WHen are you due? Usually crampy is real contractions, BH are tightening but not cramping, though not comfy. The back pain likely means the baby is posterior. Try checking out the spinning babies site to get baby in a better position. Back labor sucks.
    I am due on Oct 29th, so about 4-4.5 more weeks. I have already heard of Spinning Babies, but I had kind of forgotten about it. I will def check it out tomorrow.
    Kelli

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast