MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default playstructure with tarp roof or wooden roof?

We are looking at this and this. The wood roof one can have the monkey bars added, so the only difference would be the roof.

I think the wooden roof is cuter, but it costs more, of course.

My question is, is there anything else I should be considering (like function-wise)? What do you like better, wood or tarp?
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I always feel like the fabric ones show their age, but maybe that's just in our neck of the woods where people never replace/update anything.

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I bought a Gorilla swing set earlier this year and was struggling with the same choice. I drove around my neighborhood and looked at all the swingsets I could see above the fence line. 80% of them had tarps instead of the wood roof. And 95% of those with the tarp roofs looked very worn/torn/faded/etc. THe ones that didn't looked new.

I live in a windy area, that can easily get hit by hurricanes. On top of that, we have very strong Tx sun that beats down constantly. So for those reasons, I went with a wooden roof. I figured it would hold up better in a storm, and I think it makes the structure look way better. I am not sure, but it may add a little stability?

You can get the EXACT same swing set from this website for WAY cheaper and it includes the Monkey bars AND the wood roof. It's a Gorilla Swing set called the Sun Palace II (if you want the monkey bars).

http://www.willygoat.com/catalogsing...productID=2525

elbenn is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I definitely think the wooden roof looks better.

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    You can get the EXACT same swing set from this website for WAY cheaper and it includes the Monkey bars AND the wood roof. It's a Gorilla Swing set called the Sun Palace II (if you want the monkey bars).

http://www.willygoat.com/catalogsing...productID=2525
    Thanks for the tip on the other site-- they do have a good price (but want >$300 to deliver to my area). Our local distributor has a price better than the site I posted as well--with free delivery and set up. My DH and dad would probably kill themselves or each other if they had to put it together.

DH and I liked the roof better too, so I looks like that settles it!
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We started off with a tarp roof. A tree limb fell on it and tore it not too long after we put it up. DH and his dad are going to be replacing it with a wooden roof this fall. DD has asked for a wooden roof b/c it looks more like a club house that way!

our tarp roof is GONE now-totally shredded. We'll be doing a wooden roof next. The tarp lasted about 3 years. And they are pretty $$$ for what they are.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaSnoo View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the other site-- they do have a good price (but want >$300 to deliver to my area). Our local distributor has a price better than the site I posted as well--with free delivery and set up. My DH and dad would probably kill themselves or each other if they had to put it together.

DH and I liked the roof better too, so I looks like that settles it!
    Oh, I forgot to mention - when we bought ours, it came with the tarp roof as well, even though we bought the wooden roof. It's up in the attic!

Good find on the price!! I hired someone to put it together for me. Took one guy all day to do it - but he knew what he was doing.