elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Coat fabric question

I am looking for a coat that I can use for cold California weather for "nicer" outfits, like something for work or out to dinner.
    I also would like to use it for a NYC trip in early December.
    I think I want something wool (although I am thinking of taking my down Northface jacket just in case!)

But because of the NY trip, I want to make sure I get something that is actually functional and will keep me warm. Is it that the more actual wool in the coat, the warmer it is?

So something that is nylon/acrylic/polyester in the blend will not be as warm, right?
    DD
    DS

Hmmm, interesting question but I think the answer is "no".

There are so many great coat materials, that sometimes a no-wool coat would be warmer than a wool coat.

But who cares? Really, find a coat you're happy with and layer under it when you're in NYC.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Sometimes those "wool looking" coats in the Juniors dept. don't have a lot of wool in them, and they are not as warm as a 100% wool coat. But, if you're going with a high-tech material, like Ivy said, they can be just as warm or warmer than a traditional wool coat. ITA, just get something that will work w/your weather and layer when you're in NY (or use your down coat). It will prob be pretty cold in NYC in Dec.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard